Thursday, February 19, 2009

Dissonance


Is there anyone else out there suffering from an excess of dissonance these days?

I know I am.

1. When I hear endless wittering about the bailouts solving the whole problem of the economy which hit rigor mortis over a year ago but was burnished and paraded around like the corpse of Eva Peron until even the true believers began to question the heavy makeup.

2. When I hear bleating from the automobile manufacturing sector about unfair competition from Japan when they themselves killed the electric car, oh, 20 years ago.

3. When I hear of the bailouts of the obscene bankers, the ones who are so removed from any semblance of human compassion and who got us all into this sad and sorry mess to begin with.

4. When I hear of the bailouts for ‘responsible’ homeowners. Who determines who’s responsible, pray tell? Push button two for corruption in the making.

5. When I hear the fading yelps of the Obamabots telling the rest of us cynics that there is still hopey changey in the air. In spite of all evidence to the contrary.

6. When I hear our prime minister, Stephen Harper- aka Bush-Lite – finally giving green energy some lip service in the light of Barack Obama’s visit and his feigned interest in same. Two emperors wearing no clothes for the price of one.

7. When I see absolutely no MSM reporting on the bankruptcy of California – IOUs issued in lieu of tax refunds to its citizens, 55,000 prisoners released to the streets for lack of funds to feed and house them, and oh yeah, some of the citizen journalist reports where I read this have been, yup, deleted. But you can read much about it here in The Independent

8. See: I watch California for the canary in the goldmine that it is, its disease will sweep across the US, gobbling Canada in its wake and then on and over to Europe which is already in its death throes.

9. I see absolutely no emergency preparations being made by Thems Wot Rules Us. Except here in Ontario where, for over a year now, we have been exhorted to have our emergency survival kits at hand.

10. Maybe we’ll be one of the few places that won’t turn on TWRU in primitive savagery when civilization collapses around us.


Enough already, you get my point. But honestly, my head hurts. Most of the time.

15 comments:

  1. Yes, count me in. I think you're jolly lucky to have a government that informs you of things like 'emergency survival kits'. Over here, in the great no-man's-land known as the US of A, we just get told not to worry, Homeland Security will take care of it - in association with FEMA, of course.
    Well, I mean, it doesn't inspire confidence. Particularly as the acronym, 'FEMA' and the phrase, "You're doing a great job, Brownie," still echo around the ears at a hint of any catastrophe.
    I guess, when the balloon goes up, I'll do what they told us in the fifties, if the A-bomb exploded: dive into a large brown paper bag and hide under the kitchen table.
    See you in the asylum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary stuff. I'm a habitual optimist who believes everything will come right in the end, but who knows? Maybe everything will collapse around us, as you say.

    I didn't know California was bankrupt, though I'd heard about the cancelled tax refunds and the enforced work without pay.

    Did you see the Bank of England is about to print more money to encourage more spending? Desperate times indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a mess these poltroons have made of the whole thing ... while lining their own fat wallets, of course. And you're right, California is the canary in the goldmine. As goes California, so go the rest of America.

    Time to make another bastable cake, I think! xot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't deflate my small imaginary bubble of security completely, Mary. I have to keep believing in my own survival somehow. Life is already precarious. I don't want it to start teetering even more than it is and come crashing down around me. I am a single unarmed soul with no resources to fight the big mother of all economic global crashes. Somehow I have to keep believing that we'll make it through this in some semblance of order. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not lost confidence in President Obama yet, so I have to disagree with ya for once WWW.
    call me an Obamabot if ya like - I won't mind now as I might have early in the primaries. He's not a magician, so cannot mend the wrongs of many years in one fell swoop, but I believe we should support him in his efforts, not let pessimism darken the few opportunities of hope there may be.

    I go back to A.A. Milne's Piglet and Pooh and take note: 'Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?'
    'Supposing it didn't,' said Pooh.
    After careful thought Piglet was comforted by this."


    Actually, I've just finished drafting a post for tomorrow about this crazy world - but not in relation to the current $$$ crisis.

    Craziness is all over the place, there's plenty to choose from.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. RJA:
    I think, as in the fires of Australia, we'll be told "You're on your own".
    It behoves us to make provision for dark times ahead.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick:
    Well, they'll keep printing until they run out of ink or can't afford to pay the printers. I am optimistic, really, I just have dissonance at what Thems Wot Rules Us are telling us.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tessa:
    Let us eat Bastable, yes!!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Irene:
    I don't mean to distress and depress you. I was only talking of the dissonance I feel inside my head when I hear these idiots spewing crap amid the gathering storm.
    It seems to me that nobody is quite getting it or preparing us. We need to take care of ourselves.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. T:
    Oh at the end of this nightmare I think it will be a far better world. I really mean that. We all had to be taken to our knees with our profligate consumerism.
    As to Mr. Obama, I think we are all being protected from the frightening reality out there. It might not be a good thing to alarm us all for there's going to be a mighty lot of further pain coming before the healing starts.
    But I am optimistic, truly. while preparing.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Pooh quote. That says it all, really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that those who walk through this with their eyes shut and say that the government will get us out of this hole by throwing more money at those who have already burned it are going to have a big shock.

    I like the idea of the emergency survival kits - the UK has:
    http://www.preparingforemergencies.gov.uk/
    (and brilliantly, they forgot to register http://www.preparingforemergencies.co.uk/ and someone beat them to it...)

    Remember how we got out of the 1929 depression?

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Nick:
    Yes, a reminder to stay in the moment and let the chips fall where they may, perhaps but a little boy scout philosophy can do no harm.
    @Jo:
    I wasn't around then, tho some may think so ;^)We need to become producers that is the most important thing of all. We're going to have to roll up the old sleeves like never before.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. you bet
    2. not only electric car, any quality car
    3. is related closely with 4.
    The rest - pessimism. Is it helping? I guess you noticed how real estate is going now, Toronto real estate sales dropped by some 45%, not to say about other towns, but pessimism is the last thing i can afford. The end of mourning is the first step to reincarnation!
    Take care
    Elli

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elli:
    Not pessimism as much as realism. I sympathize with your profession, it must be rough right now. I firmly believe we are forming a new and better world but to do that we need to break the old mold.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.