Thursday, October 28, 2010

Some Enchanted Evening


I hadn't forgotten about it. Of course not. It was just slightly submerged in the tide of other memories until I went over to Marcia's place yesterday and it bobbed to the surface.

It was like this. Thirty years ago. I was freshly separated. A little bruised and raw. Couple friends invited me to one of those dinner theatre "Evening With....." events. A Scottish night, focussing on Scottish literature. So I kilted myself and off I went with them. And the strangest thing happened. The well known star of the show kept looking at me during the first half of the performance. I admonished myself that I was surely just imagining this. How on earth? He was handsome, tall, kilted and his accent and intonation would buckle your knees out from under you.

To my utmost astonishment, he headed right to our table at intermission and asked to sit down, politely fending off the autograph seekers.

He leaned over to me. "Ach nay you, ma wee lassie, and me," he growls into my right ear, "We'll escape after this wee show and spend some time."

Did I pay attention at the second act? Could I hear the rich Scottish burr of his incredible voice over the pounding of my heart?

What do you think?

28 comments:

  1. Oh, you shameless hussy...we want to know the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you hooked me! So let's hear the rest. Meanwhile, I feel sad that I waited so long to try being single again...this sort of thing doesn't happen much (or at all, ever) at 58.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I suspect you'd have little use for any man who called you "a wee lassie" WWW! Am I right?
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you, then, one of the few who knows what the Scot wears under his kilt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thank you PC - I love being thought of as a 'shameless hussy'.
    Music to my ears.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Twain:
    Was that envy or finger waggy?
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon:
    A crowded room thing happened to me at 53 also but they are so very rare and thin of the ground when we get older. You'd think we'd be more into throwing all caution to the wind then, right?
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. T:
    OMG T, NO!!! He was a big strapping lad and I'm 5'8" so to be called 'wee' was music to my wee ears!!!Plus I come from a family of tiny people and was thought a giant!!!
    Wee!! Loved it!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now 20CW, you'll have to wait and see but your imagination will keep you warm in Alaska!!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. RJA:
    I've always known what a Scot has under his kilt, my dear man.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. When are you going to tell the rest?

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh man! I want to know the second act here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can't leave it there! What happened next?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm all ears.... and very intrigued. It would be a beautiful start or end to a novel!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Being called Bonny Lass is quite melting too. Looking forward to the next installment...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful. But you can't just stop there and leave us all in suspense. Where's the second instalment?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Come on missus, I am hanging by a thread here waiting for the next episode!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marcia:
    It's a good story and thanks for refreshing my memory.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pauline:
    Well there may be a few acts in all of this. Nothing like grabbing an audience, feeds my ego a bit!!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jo:
    I just posted today's episode, this is an unplanned soap opera!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  21. Freda:
    Let's call it a very short novella!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  22. DO:
    And the accent would do a cold heart in!!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nick:
    Extra! Extra!
    Read all about it....
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  24. GM:
    You'll have to cover your eyes, I'm about to shatter your image of me as a little innocent Catholic Cork girl!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  25. If it was Sean Connery, you are lucky it only lasted two days. He is on record as saying that it's only right for a man to hit a woman if she persists in arguing with him. I used to think he was a sexy man, but not after I saw that interview on film. Now he disgusts me.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Katrinka:
    No not SC, I was never attracted to him anyway, apparently he is a miser, misogynist and womanizer and devoid of imagination.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.