Saturday, October 04, 2014

Taking Down the Scaffolding Part 2


See Part 1 here.

By scaffolding I mean memories. Pieces of the memory banks no longer shared with the participants. And my friend Allen held a chunk of joint memories.

I met him and his family through his sister, Judy, a dear friend. But I'll back up even further on the lives of the Butons (last name changed to protect their anonymity).

They were staunch Quebecers. And in that gifted way of most Quebecers spoke both English and French fluently.

The first tragedy in their family befell them when Judy was 13, Allen was 15 and their baby brother, Michel, was 3. Their father went off to hunt in the woods one Saturday morning and killed himself in their cabin with his own shotgun. No note. No reason. Just a legacy of puzzlement and grief and anger and despair.

Their mother, Cecile, had to go outside the home and find work just about immediately as Papa had left them virtually bankrupt.

Allen worked part-time to help the family and also attended college for a business degree and then started up his own small company.

He then married his high school sweetheart who had sustained him during the crisis of his father's death.

There was an economic meltdown in Quebec in the eighties (most Quebec based English businesses and head offices moved to Ontario during that period due to the enforcement of the French language by the language police).

It broke the Butons' hearts to leave their birth province but they did. The impact of so many corporations abandoning Quebec for Ontario put Allen's own small business (an import/export) in jeopardy so they "jumped ship". Successfully as it turned out.

To be continued.



7 comments:

  1. I look forward to the next part of this continuing tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have suffered from herpes in the mouth since I can remember. The burning sensation and itching is awful and only those who have suffered can understand what I mean. This message is for all those who continue to suffer from this problem, and want to get rid of.I want to say that I was there and today, thanks to "Dr Ebosa herbal remedies", I can say that my herpes are part of the past. A fast, simple and natural method.Without spending a lot of money and above all no horrible side effects. This program is all you need to say goodbye to their herpes forever! Thanks to all those who were involved in the development of this wonderful product. you can contact him today Via email;ebosaherbalremedy@hotmail.com OR or just call him +2347059498969

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

  6. My name is Chersley, from USA, I want to testify of how i got cured from Herpes By Dr Ofua Ofure, I have been living with this disease for the past 11months, i have done all i can to cure this disease but all my efforts proved abortive until i met an old friend of mine who told me about a herbalist from Africa who cures several types of diseases such as hepatitis A B and C, Human Papillomavirus (HPV),Herpes and so many more. though i have doubt about it,I decided to give it a try when i contacted this herbalist,he helped me cast a healing spell and send me a herbal medicine which i make use of according to his instructions and now behold the herpes is gone and i now have my life back,If you are out there living with this disease i will like you to get cure today by Contacting this great herbalist on his email: thegreatherbalhealinghome@gmail.com Tel: +2347059497969
    Goodluck and God bless

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.