Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Words for Wednesday

Lissa at The Memory of Rain blogspot is hosting January's Word for Wednesday. Please go visit her to read what others have done with the cues. Her sound cue is here: And I confess to nearly falling asleep listening to it, it's so soothing.



And/or: it's going to rain today; chasing storms; umbrellas; charmed; a long journey; trains.
She'd always loved trains. She loved the isolated world they represented. She particularly enjoyed riding them alone. Being free to look around at the other passengers, the tiny dramas, the tears sometimes, the drunkenness, even the loutish behavior of football lads going home from a game. She loved the sound of the wheels on the tracks, the occasional darkness of a tunnel, the announcements, the dining car, the bar, the screeching into small stations along the route. But today was different. the carriage was steaming up from all the wet umbrellas and coats and hats. The rain outside was unrelenting, coming down in vertical streams, bouncing off station platforms.

Everybody's mood on board was affected it seemed, including her own. She supposed it was finally her turn now, her life had been charmed until a short time ago. Her high school sweetheart still in her life, wearing his promise ring, class valedictorian, university scholarships graduating with honours. And now? This long journey ahead of her, leaving a storm behind her, facing a possible storm ahead. Was she chasing the storm or the storm chasing her?

She'd done it. She'd broken up with James after 7 years. His face would haunt her for all time. Then she'd told her parents. They had been horrified and disgusted with her. A guy she'd met at Trinity a couple of months ago? She was moving to Africa with him? She might be pregnant? She was throwing her life away. She'd tuned it all out. But now their words were riding in her brain to the rhythm of the rain and the rails.

Ashok would meet her off the train. He would of course. Though he hadn't answered his phone in 24 hours. But he was like that sometimes, he'd get involved and forget. She wished she wasn't so much head over heels in love with him. It sure was another storm. This intense storm of emotion and passion and god knows what else.

She looked out the darkening window and saw her reflection in the window.

The rain made her face look full of tears.

25 comments:

  1. Excellent story, so full of emotion. You write so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaarg, what happens next? You are so talented. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. I love the rain and always have but this piece is soooo emotive.
    I do hope that Ashok is worth it. And fear that he isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I was trying to convey, EC. Thank you.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. Oh my. This sounds like a story from which no good can come. Will you tell us more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Uglemor. I should maybe write a sequel?

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. this makes me sad & I kind of think she would have even worse storms coming up for her. I really like how you write this, I can picture this whole image of her and her sad face.

    thank you for joining in & have a lovely day.

    p.s., do leave a direct link to your post in the words for wed post at my blog (or whomever is currently hosting) that way, people can visit you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do Lissa - thank you for the good words.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. I love the beginning of the first paragraph. It evoked such memories of traveling by train when I was a child, the long distances and different people getting on and off.
    The rain on the window making her face look full of tears....a portent of things to come I think.
    Good story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always look forward to Words on Wed. Next week will be much anticipated by all I am thinking. :) Can't wait to see if my suspicions are correct.

      Delete
  7. OOOh! Yes, sequel please WWW! I fear the worst, but want to read about it in your, always emotive, words. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see if I can spin it off with the next Words for Wednesday, T. I, too, really want to find out what happens to her.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. To many question, where in Africa is she going.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next week I'll have the answers Dora (I hope!)

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. wow, I really enjoyed all of the emotions and intrigue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the detailed article

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like that one. Powerful image at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I loved the description of the rain, train movement, the mood created and the inviting story line promising so much more suspense. A storm does not bode well. Yet...a rainbow can appear.... the sun does come out eventually afterward.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.