Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Words for Wednesday 2/27/19

This past month's Words have been hosted by River at Drifting Through Life.
Thank you River!
Go visit her to see what others are doing with the words. And join in. I often feel I can do nothing around these words and next thing a story evolves taking me by surprise.

This week's words are:

1. passport*
2. movies*
3. puffed*
4. complete*
5. transport*
6. bleach*

and/or:

1. avenue*
2. helicopter*
3. fair*
4. clearly*
5. foolishness*
6. ability*


The transport truck dropped her off at the Clarenville turnoff, 250 kilometers from home. Right by Bleach Avenue which had a Tim Horton's and a McDonald's opposite the intersection.

McDonald's then. She shrunk down a little and ordered the kid's meal. It came with a toy helicopter and she carefully put it into her knapsack. The woman behind the counter was giving her a bit of stinkeye. As if she had some kind of weird ability to see her insides. Oh no, here she came around the counter and now she was leaning over the table.

"Are you okay, duckie?" she said, "I don't know you from around these parts. To be fair, this is clearly none of my business, but I get the feeling there's a bit of foolishness going on here?"

Stupid nosy woman, puffed up with her own importance. Why did running away look so completely easy in the movies? A passport to freedom, getting away from everything, those awful bullies, that horrible school, her stressed out mother, her crying little brother.

As the woman stared her eyes didn't look so hard anymore, but now, oh no, she felt her own flooding with tears. And next thing, embarrassing as all get out, the woman had her arms around her rocking her a little.

"It's okay, duckie," she said into her hair, "I have a daughter your age. I can read trouble from two miles away. Now give me your parents' number and we'll call them. Everything will be fine. You wait and see."


16 comments:

  1. This story is assembled so nicely from the words provided. In fact, I looked up to see if "stinkeye" were included in the list, which would have left me feeling a bit put out. True confession, I often skip right over these posts for fear of finding fault with the stories. Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; you're missing out on some good stories, there's a lot of imagination out there.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Joanne. It is a great exercise for the imagination, firing up new circuits for me, waiting for a story to fall in.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. Good story. Yes, why is running away from home just never how it was in the books? Nobody tells of the inconveniencies and the tears, the cold and the having to sneeze or pee when hiding. You nailed it. Let's hope for better days for our little heroine, although I fear not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah she'll be fine. She just needs reassurance she's loved.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. Nicely done, WWW. I wondered how on earth bleach and helicopter would be used. Clever! I fist assumed we were reading of an abused wife absconding, and saving the toy for her child, later on. Then - the reveal! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's thinking of her little brother, I'm glad you caught that! I love a little foreshadowing.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. Ah thank goodness she is going home, great story as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm so glad she met that nice woman who can help. Things could have turned out so badly, as it often does for runaways. I like your version so much better. A wonderful use of my words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you River! Your words were excellent, really fired up my imagination combining them all!

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. Eh, nothing wrong with running away from home. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you've done it Gigi, I think I recall that you did :)

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. I was a little surprised by the ending, didn't think it was a little girl. is she taking the toy helicopter for her little brother? great use of the prompts.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.