Friday, April 10, 2020

Covid-19 (Day 29 of self-isolation)

Objet du Jour - a shawl I completed in about 40 shades of violet. I left it on my couch as I like looking at it and can hardly wait to waltz about outside in it.

There's a form of routine to my days, it's loose but there.

So here it is.

I get up at my usual time and make my breakfast (always a frightful bore - a large pot of dark roast - freshly ground beans, one egg and some healthy cereal with homemade yogurt and fresh or canned fruit) and well, 16 pills to start my day. All for kidney and heart and blood pressure function along with some D drops, some complex B and a baby aspirin (they don't call them that anymore right?)

I read my latest novel while I eat, a habit I've practiced for years except in my B&B days when I had to serve my guests. Afterwards it's Tao meditation time (I light a small candle) and the gathering of my self. I plan my meals for the day then so when I get involved in other stuff I know what I'm eating. I jot notes on whatever I'm writing.

Every morning, I email my small family (we have a group chat) a good morning wish and maybe a song or a positive thought. Today it was gratitude for their love for me and mine for them evidenced by a huge care package dropped off by my nephew last night which made me cry. Niece had put it together. I saw him through the heavy glass doors of my building and it felt so lonely and surreal as we waved at each other but this is much worse for them as he hasn't hugged his wife or his children in 4 weeks as he works in an environment that is high risk.

Then I check the newspapers - all digitally. I post relevant news items on the Covid-19 site I founded. And read comments and moderate and kick off misbehaving members with their own hateful agendas. Then I write for a while, or I knit. Or blog. Or a mix of everything. If I attend a Zoom meeting I knit which is a bonus.

I am never bored. I feel enormously free to do stuff now without the pressure of other stuff, if you know what I mean. My meds and groveries are delivered, I can PJ myself all day if I want. I don't have to interact with small talk ever (it drives me bats, call me deranged, I truly have to scrabble around in my brain to find bland sentences to volley back at the ones that are thrown at me).

Here are Canadian woman physicians singing one of my favourite songs of all time (originally written and sung by the Rankin Family).

Have a listen. Try not to let a tear leak. But ah go on - do, it's good for you. You don't have to be tough all the time.





28 comments:

  1. A great routine that can inspire others to emulate. Mine is somewhat different but, at the end of it all, I reach the same place of not being bored. In fact, I wish that I had more waking time to do somethings that I am unable to do now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I run out of time so often Ramana, it startles me. I want to squeeze in so much and there's not enough time.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. thank you for that video. Today I celebrate Good Friday here on the plains of farmland in north central Illinois, USA. The message of today is rise again. Blessings to you across the miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear from you Judi, I've played this throughout the day and cry every time, not sad, but joy. Yes we will rise again.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. Ah, thanks for sharing that video. Just beautiful. My routine (here in central New York) is similar, except that I drink tea instead of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo:
      News out of NY is not good at all. I get very distressed reading it. I hope you keep your spirits up, this too shall pass.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. Love the video!
    Here's something I read yesterday, self-isolation tips from Billy Barr in Gothic, Colorado:

    1. Keep track of something.
    2. Keep a routine.
    3. Celebrate the stuff that matters, rather than the stuff you’re supposed to celebrate.
    4. Embrace the grumpiness.
    5. Use movies as a mood adjuster.

    My routine is walk the dog and see how much energy I have left to do anything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really really good advice Annie. Embrace the grumpiness - I have little chats with myself. Encouraging noises. My new novel is keeping me in line as I regularly escape to it. The one I'm writing I mean.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. Thank you . Love the Rankins. Thank you for bringing all these strong good women to us.
    My routine seems to include too many and too long naps. But refreshing ones. AND I still sleep all night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your body must need it Gemma, I was doing that for a while but surprisingly I am getting by on very little sleep now but I'm sure I will deep-nap again soon :)

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. Lovely song and rendition, WWW - thank you for sharing. The song is new to me.

    I do much less than you during these shut-in times, but I do enjoy the fact that I don't HAVE to do anything. It feels a bit like those times, long ago, during sick-days from school, or work, when I could do anything or nothing at all and, once I didn't feel too ill, I'd revel in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, T, I find there's a childhood element to it. I got into a convo with one of my bros today and it was all childhood summer stuff we talked about and it was wonderful. Names of children we played with and watching our father stook hay which cracked us up as he was such a civil servant in real life. And swimming until we were prunes. It was one of the best conversations :)

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. Tears here. Which I view as toxins which NEED to be shed.
    Many thanks.
    Love that shawl. And would love to stroke it - it epitomises a gentle hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I must cart it around post pestilence and have friends and family touch it. I used to do that with a lot of my knitting. You are the first, virtually speaking. Thank you!

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. Wow! And so moving. I did shed a few tears. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful isn't it Chris and we sometimes forget that they have children too.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. You are very disciplined. I may watch the video later. It wouldn't take much for me to kick off with tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say very Andrew, did you note no exercise in there much as I would like to. I get distracted.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. You are welcome Joanne, sleep well my friend.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  11. Ooooh, how I HATE small talk, really, after hello and how have you been? what the heck else is there to say? I truly don't understand some women who get up in the morning, start talking and don't stop until they fall asleep at night. Maybe they even talk in their sleep. I love the shawl. I never got the hang of those. I'd wrap one around me and be forever gripping it or hauling it back up to where it should be. I gave up and wear jackets and parkas instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secret is in a fancy pin to pull it all together River, even a varnished twig.

      Not only women who do this, River. I have two male friends who broadcast so much nonsense at me I run for cover once I see them. It is terrible. I imagine each of their wives throw them out of their houses in fits of despair to haunt others.

      Fine line between small talk and the crashing bore.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  12. Well, you've certainly got your days well organised! I can't believe the number of pills you have to take, but I guess they're all necessary. I hate small talk too. I know it's often the only way to start a conversation, but like you I struggle to play along. I love the colours on the shawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick, tho I do struggle to fit in exercise and NOT go outside as I could meet too many residents in the halls who think Covid happens to others.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  13. Thank you, I'm leaking now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reads like you have this isolation well under control. Your shawl looks lovely — making them correlates with another’s idea I have written about on my blog you might find of interest.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.