Tuesday, July 14, 2026

On Aging - Episode 3

 THE HEAD

Eyes

After a procedure which shocked me (I wasn’t allowed anaesthesia) I lost much of the sight in my right eye. Several consultations resulted in none of the experts recommending any kind of surgery or laser, as the bit that had migrated to behind my eye was microscopic.I am awaiting cataract surgery, which may – just may – remove this bit. But my sight in my left eye will improve, which has the worst cataract. I am coming up on 8 months waiting for this cataract surgery. And I am sure all the pre-op measurements are now out of date.

Sigh.

Ears

I had a bad infection many years ago, which resulted in being slightly deaf in one of my ears after I was immune to the antibiotic I was prescribed. I was surprised at the effect it had on my singing. Prior to then, I was a semi-trained singer but I found that I couldn’t determine my tonal register anymore. It was a shock at the time as I was conducting a group of singers in a musical I was directing. There is a slight loss now in old age, and I find I switch on closed captioning on films and series and am seriously annoyed when CC is not available.

Brain

Having witnessed several dear friends come down with dementia, it’s a concern for all of us oldies. But if we have it, we will not be aware of it, which is what I have observed. It’s when other family members take over your personal management. One I have witnessed closely and am upset that her family couldn’t care less about her. Or so it appears. She has fallen several times, set fire to her kitchen, forgets her keys, glasses, phone, etc. And her short-term memory is now completely gone except for the recollection of olden days. My own observation on these unfortunates has been that none of them were readers.

Research – I just checked - shows:

Research indicates that people who regularly read, write, and engage in lifelong learning have nearly a 40% lower risk of developing Alzheimer's disease and dementia compared to those who do not. [1]

40% is quite massive. So note to you oldies out there: read. At least for pleasure.

Interestingly, when I asked my friends in early dementia if they read, the answer was “I can’t concentrate”. So that lack of concentration could also be linked.

Crafting, painting, photography, also slows the progress of this awful disease.

The Nun’s Study has been groundbreaking into what was discovered about Alzheimer’s. I recommend it.

As I maintain, adapting is the key to accepting the limitations of old age. I recently had a bad fall, saw the stars, did not have my cell phone on me, panicked. But I did some breathing exercises and told myself to relax. I knew where the phone was and it was going to be painful and slow but I could reach it and with a large utensil could hook it and call the building manager. It took a while, with many breaks, but all is well. He and his wife came and got me on my feet and checked my eyes, etc., for concussion or broken limbs but all was well. It took me days to recover as I was sore and bruised but it was a great lesson on not panicking but thinking slowly and carefully about a solution to my dilemma.

Now my family are talking about a Garmin watch to replace my Fitbit as it will detect a fall and call my emergency contacts automatically.

Adapt. And feel free to share your experiences.





14 comments:

  1. Well, without dementia in my family and reading, learning and having a blog, all might boost me well over 40% less chance.
    Sorry about your tumble. We must be so careful. If other people around when you fall, most seem to want immediately haul you to your feet. Unless you are in the middle of the road, it is probably not the best thing to do. Wait until the person can gather their thoughts and feel if they are hurting badly somewhere. This is kind of what you did, that is not rush and panic, but methodically work out what to do. You don't have one of those neck SOS medallions? Even if never used, they can make you feel more secure.
    Btw, the link to The Nuns Story begins with in, which needs to be removed for it to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Garmin watch does the same thing, Andrew. I did not know about this until someone told me. It actually phones your emergency contact and if they don't respond it calls emergency services. Thanks for alerting me to the link issue. I have corrected.
      Your odds of dementia are quite low I would think with all you do. I'm the eldest but none of my siblings are showing signs of it either.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. ADAPT. Now there's a word for all of us to put on our refrigerator or bulletin board and look at on a daily basis. We did adapt during our younger years. Never gave it a second thought, but now, now we have to think about how, what, when, where...and make changes as necessary. I'm finding some of my older friends struggling with the adapting part, wanting to stay stuck in their previous routine and daily pattern even though their life has changed. I am a work in progress in that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also a work in progress Delaine but this fall I had gave me some real reassurance. I refused to think of my friend Edythe in a similar position on her floor being found a week later, deceased, unable to reach her phone. It broke my heart then. We need to remain calm and work out solutions when we are incapacitated. Adapt to our aging bodies.
      And so many here in my building fight their old status, joke about how young they are. Ageism in the elderly is real too.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. That's good news about the reading and writing. Now just to add some lifelong learning, and Bob's my uncle! Thanks for the tips. Glad you're okay. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are a youngster Kate. But when I was younger I found elder blogs really helpful to prepare me for aging body stuff. We should all be writing more about it.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. I am glad you are okay and think the Garmin watch is a great idea. I don't think I'm "learning" much these days, but I do still read a lot and write my Friday stories. I do fewer crosswords because there just doesn't seem to be time for them since reading and replying to blogs takes up so many of my hours. Then there are elderly neighbours who need help with this or that, or can't get out on their own anymore and could I please pick up (whatever it is they want) next time I go to the shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're doing great River, actively engaged with life and writing your blog and stories. And being helpful too. I try and help as much as I can with others. Not consistently because of my unpredictable help. And of course writing and knitting on the side which keep me engaged. I also play new to me music and my playlists on Spotify provide some lovely background music.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. Interesting study. I am so thankful I love to read, even after working all day. I carry my phone on me always; is in my back pocket, etc. I don't even buy pajamas unless they have pockets! I think when you live alone, you are so much more aware of what can go wrong and try to plan accordingly. Those Garmin watches look like a fabulous idea. What makes them better than standard Apples watches, though? I will have to research this. Glad you are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My granddaughter is particularly good on tech so she was advising about this watch. They are not cheap - triple the price of the Fitbit. I think the Garmin has a better battery life if I'm not mistaken. I get seriously annoyed at all these expensive watches which don't have replaceable batteries. Built in obsolescence drives me crazy. Looking at you too mobile phones! All my clothes have pockets. I buy men's PJs.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear that you are doing relatively well, and I hope that the cataract surgery is scheduled soon. As for reading, I couldn’t live without it. The satisfaction derived from books is immense. Take good care and keep that phone handy! And no more falls! Best wishes - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. Yes, reading is my greatest pleasure, ever since I got my first library card at the advanced age of 4. )Thank you, Dad.). I should have added I do Wordle every day and also play Scrabble on line every day with a long-time group. Keeps the old brain functioning.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. Sorry to fread about your fall and certainly a wearable that will call emergency services and notify your emergency contacts is a good investment. I have an Apple way=tch which does all of those things and yes it was costly, but the peace of mind it provides me with are worth the expense in my opinion. I have only have a couple of slight tumbles, no injuries or bruising and both times the watch detected a fall and was ready to summon help, but I was able to inform it that I was OK. In an earlier post, I detailed how the watch itself had fallen and called emergency services!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.