Saturday, April 17, 2010

Shameless Brag



click to enbiggen

This was a long haul in the making, over 15 months. My daughter's birthday is tomorrow and this is the gift. I've designed and made these afghans for years, often as wedding gifts or family gifts. They always incorporate facets or hallmarks or talents or aspirations of the giftee and family connections.

In this one, there are the trees symbolizing family and grounding,. There is a garden representing my daughter's annual vegetable and herb planting. There are the honeycombs representing health for her (she has MS) and the blackberries representing the wild fruits of the hedgerows that she loves, cables of friends and relationships, there are boats symbolizing the ocean and then there are music notes representing her passion for music and her skill as a flautist.

Finally there is the surrounding edging of tulips which represent the month of her birth, April.

Oddly enough, it was the tulips that were the biggest challenge. I could not manage to get the pattern (it was an 18-rower) into my head until I'd made about 20. As I like to watch movies or DVD series or read a book as I knit, this was a serious challenge, having to concentrate and read the pattern so many times and tick as I went. But finally it sunk in and I was able to multi-task successfully (even to reading blogs as I completed so many of these tulips!)

My daughter's a woman who appreciates all things hand-wrought, so I know she will just love this.

closeup of music notes

13 comments:

  1. That is just gorgeous! Such a beautiful design, and so personal, I'm sure your daughter will love it.

    I've just come back to knitting again. I learnt in school (didn't we all!) and was quite a good knitter for years, but then I got bored. The more complicated the pattern, the more boring, for just the reason you describe: I couldn't knit and read or watch tv at the same time. But now I'm knitting an Aran sweater for the husband, just to get back into practice. I'm using a pattern, because I am nowhere near as talented as you, WWW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just beautiful...i never learned how to knit even though my grandmother and mother where great at it. happy birthday to your daughter

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really beautiful. I'm sure she'll love it. Incorporating all those different themes is so ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a unique gift for your daughter. I am sure she will love it.

    Now why did I pass on ALL my knitting needles to Elly? :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a marvelously thoughtful gift! Both of you are lucky to have each other!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's jaw-droppingly clever, you are, WWW! The knitting is one thing - the designing is something else!
    And multi-tasking while knitting too! That I could never do - I can knit - but only easy stuff - and think great thoughts but that's my limit.
    Jaw still dropping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just gorgeous! I love it! And all that symbolism too! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Tessa:
    Thank you!
    I'm delighted your back at the knitting, something good for the soul in it.I love Aran work more than anything. Good luck with the sweater!
    @Twain:
    Thank you. My father taught me!
    @Nick:
    Yes, I always personalize them.
    Thank you!
    @GM:
    Get them back. Now!
    @Pauline:
    I've made so many for her friends for their weddings and then loads for my friends so it was finally her turn!!
    @T:
    Practice, as they say, the hands then do the work automatically. I've been knitting since I was 7 thanks to my dad who taught me.
    He had 5 older sisters.
    Thank you!
    @Annie,
    Coming from a terrific knitter such as yourself, I am honoured by your words! Thank you!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just amazing! I'm still just about able to do knit and purl, with an occasional increase or decrease - I think I'll have to practice for many more years to get to anywhere near your skill level!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jo:
    But that's all there is to knitting - knit and purl. Seriously. No more stitches to learn. Knit and purl.
    One can cable them, knit/purl them together, slip them, but there are no more stitches to learn. Ever.
    Once I got that concept into my head when I was 11 there was no end to my creativity with those needles....:^)
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Knatolee:
    I'm a very lucky mother!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is incredible! I'll bet she loved receiving this.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.