Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Multi-Tasking


Many of you, I'm sure, are fed up with my constant whinging about living in this province of Dialup Dementia. Newfoundland is one of the most beautiful places in the world, but its politicos have a complete and utter disregard for its magnificent outports, many of which have to struggle along on the internet technology of the last century.

Where I live is one of them. And yes, I'm an activist, I write/email all of the politicos involved, both federal and provincial. Some don't even bother to respond, that's how little head-time they allocate to the legitimate concerns of those poor schmucks who put them in office. Poor schmucks who pay taxes and want to develop businesses in afore-mentioned outports but can't due to technological restrictions.

A further glitch was added when I recently bought a new laptop. A dial-up port is no longer provided on laptops. I had to BUY, at the cost of an additional $70.00 a USB dialup adaptor. Yep, totally recessive hardware, costing me extra money for an appalling connection.

To avoid regular head explosions at this ongoing and painful challenge to my business life I would play bridge or solitaire or mahjongg from a games CD I had bought for this purpose.

But in the last few months, I decided to move a little shelf unit beside my computer in my office. This is stocked with wools and knitting needles. Now while I await uploads and downloads - which can take hours - I knit.

This, more than anything else, has saved my sanity, along with frequent trips to Toronto. You can see above the rather fancy dishcloths I make and gift to friends and family.

The necessity of sanity being the mother of invention and all that.

6 comments:

  1. Those dishcloths would brighten up the chore of washing up any day! I feel you pain with the dial-up problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are too fancy for dish cloths. I'm sure I would find another use for them. How about turning one into a sweater?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm - I wonder if I could do that at work to make a point - whilst we are nowhere near as bad as your dementia, it did take five clicks and about 5 minute to get our intranet to accept a simple search for a policy (which it didn't find)

    Definitely far too pretty for dishcloths - I could see the blue one on the right being a very nice beret...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice dishcloths. Horrid, horrid dial-up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GM;
    Yes I find washup is a treat with these pretty bright things!
    Nora:
    I need to see the accomplishment rapidly - at least one thing is then fast in my office!
    Jo:
    Yes, I've used the pattern on the right as a beret - and sympathy on your dementia also - maybe a quick game of Lexulour while you're waiting? LOL.
    Nick:
    Well there may be good news tomorrow, a so-called 'stick' that Bell refused to sell me is working 2doors up from me.
    I may have good news soon!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly Facebook isn't allowed at work :-( But I get the hint ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.