Sunday, August 15, 2010

Forecuddy

From the Dictionary of Newfoundland English

Comb fore-cuddy: cabin at the bow of a small vessel; esp on an undecked fishing-boat, a small enclosed space forward; CUDDY.
1842 JUKES ii, 53 I went and lay down in the fore cuddy, a place about the size of a dog-kennel, and stinking of salt butter and fish, and was dreadfully seasick. 1887 Colonist Christmas No 5 I had just settled this in my mind, when who should I see coming up out of the fore-cuddy but Tom Pugsley, in his go-ashore clothes, like myself. [1929] 1933 GREENLEAF (ed) 254 "Lukey's Boat": O, Lukey's boat got a fine fore cutty, / And every seam is chinked with putty.





My forecuddy is finished apart from some minor bits and pieces.

The reason I'm so chuffed about it all is that this pantry was a disaster when I purchased the house. The plumbing pipes hung low from the ceiling crisscrossing it haphazardly. It was a tightly enclosed space with a small door at the left side opening into it (now gone) the tin sink was in the corner with a hot tap set one foot above the cold tap and there wasn't even ONE electrical outlet. The mirrors around the entrance come from all over the world and were formerly in my Toronto bathroom. I particularly treasure a granite one from Skibbereen.

Here is the view from the kitchen looking over my workshop/training centre/dining
room. All 3 windows have a view of the ocean. The cabinet in the corner is over 200 years old and houses the Ipod docking station.



I'm going to shut up about the house now.

8 comments:

  1. Please don't shut up about the house. I love looking into other people's lives. I adore the mirrors. You have seen your reflection in them in so many places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks so cozy and i envy you your ocean view

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you your cast iron frypans ... have been looking for a big one for awhile now without luck. Picked up a cast iron dutch oven the other day, but it was tres expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kitchen is the heart of any home and this one has a very comforting feel about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a poem I found once that reminds me of your abode.
    I don't know who wrote it, or I would most certainly acknowledge her/him.
    It begins:
    When I have a house as I sometime may
    I'll suit my fancy in every way.
    I'll fill it with things that have caught my eye
    In drifting from Iceland to Molokai.
    It won't be correct or in period style
    But oh, I've thought for a long, long while
    Of all the corners and all the nooks,
    Of all the bookshelves and all the books,
    The great big table, the deep soft chairs
    And the Chinese rug at the foot of the stairs,
    (It's an old, old rug from far Chow Wan
    that a Chinese princess once walked on).

    It's a long poem, and tugs at the heartstrings, and reminds me of you.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Vagabond's House
    by Don Blanding
    1894 - 1957

    Wikipedia {also mentions this}
    RE: Don Blanding
    During his high-school years in Lawton, Oklahoma, he is said to have saved the life of a 7- or 8 year old neighbor, Lucille "Billie" Cassin, by picking her up and telephoning for a doctor, when she had jumped off her porch and deeply cut her foot on a broken milk bottle.
    Cassin eventually took the stage name of Joan Crawford.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mighty purty little forecuddy ya got there ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why? When you have such interesting things to say about them?
    Forecuddy indeed. It even sounds small and cramped.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.