Monday, April 15, 2013

Someday



You get to an age when the somedays are all behind you. Do it now or not at all is my new mantra.

My recent (well the last few years') desire is to be a Seanchaí. One of those old Irish story tellers at events. You know, engaging with the audience, taking on a role or two within the context of the old story. Using no notes. Au naturel, unlike my previous foray into a one woman performance thingie.

My first gig as a Seanchaí is in a month's time at a dinner theatre. I will be telling a story from my life, well my aunt's life, previously featured in Time Goes By a while back. The venue is an old convent converted to an inn so I thought it would be conducive to a story about my aunt's nunnish aspirations.

I've been commissioned to write another play, another musical drama, and that is completely over the top exciting. Auditions will take place soon and the first table reading will be at the end of May. I am hoping for it to be an inter-generational theme, depending on cast.

I was at a concert complete with afternoon tea on Saturday. It was a wonderful event, great music and the tea was deluxe, lashings of beautiful food, flowers and china. A few of my friends are in the choral group. They perform mainly jazz interspersed with folk songs from the sixties and seventies, along with Andrews Sisters' numbers. One came up to me during the intermission and put her head on my shoulder, nearly in tears.

"Oh, WWW," she said sadly,"Can you believe it? My life is nearly over! I'm getting so old. I'll be fifty next week!"

Somedays, I wanted to say as I comforted her. You still have somedays!

But she wouldn't have understood.

22 comments:

  1. WOW! Life is sure busy right now. You picked a great subject for your début as a Seanchaí. Break a leg, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GM:
    And LOL it's also tax season, though I've cut back a lot. And I'm trying to get the Tigeen ready for rent, :D

    Thank you so much for the good wishes... you never know this one might get to Ireland also!!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are really busy.
    Fifty is nothing! However, at the time I was approaching it, I felt it was an awful prospect. Now I'm over 70, it seems like nothing.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nearly fifty? Poor thing.
    I didn’t start living until I was in my forties. Tell her there’s hope yet.

    You’re right, get on with it. Do it. Now.
    I’ve decided I’m going to give all the stuff a miss I don’t really enjoy. Friko chooses to please herself.
    Well, for now anyway. Until the guilt sets in.

    Tell me a story, go on, do. I love stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, what happened to my comment?

    ReplyDelete
  6. May I suggest a pair of lumberjack suspenders to wear with your skirt at any future forays.
    I'm boggled by what your friend said about turning fifty.nice to know that your creative juices are flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Commissioned to write another play? How exciting! But I'd be far too nervous to attempt a note-less bit of storytelling. I envy your confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear about the new play, and the Seanchaî sounds wonderful. I didn't realize you are a performer as well as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where did you get that fabulous picture?
    I sure wish I lived in a country that encourages the arts the way Canada does. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, I doubt very much that she would have, but being 70,I do.

    Congratulations. I like the idea of the converted convent being used to stage lays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic news about the play and the Seanchaí - I do wish I lived closer than half a world away so that I could come and hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maggie:
    30 for some reason was my own nightmare, none of the rest had that kind of impact.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Friko:
    I have moderation in place so that those pesky spammers are kept at bay, they were creeping on to my blog!

    I didn't start living till my sixties. Seriously.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  14. GFB:
    Bright red suspenders. I've been looking, you don't happen to have a spare pair, my good man?
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nick:

    Who said anything about confidence??!!

    A great piece of advice I got back in the day was "Feel the fear but do it anyway."

    I'm now an old hand and holding my nose and jumping!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  16. SJG:

    I'm hoping my memory holds up, I am more comfortable with notes but seanchais are not allowed notes :(

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hattie:

    I am lightfingered on the web!

    Canada has cut back severely on arts funding. Our theatre company has to be self-supporting.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ramana:

    The converted convent is beautiful.

    Yes we have to carpe diem a lot more now that we're older!!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jo:

    Yes, it's a shame that the cost of bringing it to NZ us prohibitive!!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  20. You inspire me - wish you were near :)
    I second Friko, at 40 started to live.
    With health issues and not feeling like in the past
    I wonder
    if I have been so busy, grown old
    and never realized it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Health issues are such an impediment, OWJ, I feel blessed in that mine are manageable once I respect them which is not my first instinct :(

    Yes it would be great to have an old chinwag with you!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  22. Carpe diem! I'm glad you're going after your dreams.

    I have to admit that I was tense about turning 50. And then, you know, nothing had changed but the number.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.