Saturday, September 09, 2023

Analogy for Life

So like all carefully plotted and planned ventures, my latest knitting project blew up.

My rebellious circular needle gave up the ghost and gathered much of my stitchery to its shattered bosom before it did so.


Above you see the lifesaving results of many needles salvaging the disaster.


And here a McGyver solution on the brazen suicidal needle loop.


A mugshot of the disgraced needle.


And finally, after a few intense hours, a triumphant photo of the restored work.

My local knitting supply shop were so fantastic and as soon as my car pulled up out shot an employee with my blessed silvery brand new needle. Note to self: always have a back up needle for a project..

All the above inspired me to write this:

Time

At times like these

Uncertain, unfinished, unknown

The ancestors sit on my shoulders

And say, over and over again

As if I’m still three

“What are you afraid of, girl?

What exactly?”

And then I take this sliver of time

And roll it around in my hands

And stare at it, at all the colours of it,

Mutating, twisting, transforming,

And say back to them, the wise dead ones,

“Afraid? Me? No!

Look at the colours of now!

Aren’t they beautiful?”


18 comments:

  1. WELL DONE you. I am sure that if it happened to me I would despair.
    And I love your poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you EC. I had to teach myself patience a long, long time ago when a gorgeous glass windchime Daughter gave me got hopelessly entangled by the - ha-ha - wind. So I sat as a conscious exercise to rescue it. After a few hours I did so and thought that was such an accomplishment for a Type A like me. And ever since then I view these kinds of challenges differently.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was all thumbs and bad coordination when I attempted to knit, so enjoy what others can do. Enjoyed your writing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky I learned so young - seven years old - and haven't put down my needles since!
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. Well done, you patient and multi needled woman. I suspect you'll hear from a multitude of needlewomen who also scrounged up enough needles to salvage a project, but none of us who ever wrote a poem about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne - I am sure you have rescued many items off your magical loom over the years! I was thinking of the words of the poem as I was salvaging the mess.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. Your knitting situation was totally lost on me, someone who has never knitted, but your poem, that resonated in so many ways. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DKZ, it was an excellent life lesson for me too, my first instinct is always, always to toss the offending piece and start over. But the inspiration is in the fixing.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. All the colours of now is a great line.
    I never thought that circular needles would, or even could, break, but I'm glad you were able to rescue the work and get a new one. Do you now also have another spare just in case?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That poem!! (RoisinNY)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darlin'. I owe you a big email, the biggest, as your 45 would have it. The biggest the world has ever seen!
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. Phew! Good to know you saved the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience, often running thin on the ground Nick.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. Yay for restoring the work, and a bother on suicidal needles. I like your pom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work and a lovely verse. Forgive my absence but I am away in B.C. on vacation. I’ll be back home and back to normal early next week. David xo

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.