Saturday, August 10, 2024

Thou Shalt Not

I was thinking today about how I was raised on a whole list of "Thou Shat Nots'

These were all grounded in the following (simple version):


8 shalt nots you will note if you pay attention to such things. These were all hanging in classrooms and churches. All this was gobblydeegook to a young child who had to learn them all for her First Communion and tell the holy priest what each meant  before she made her First Confession, the evil wee thing.

I thought God was a bossy man. Demanding all this from me. Even thinking about such forbidden actions (like disobeying my parents See Number 5) was a criminal action resulting in acres of repetitive prayers as penance after the aforesaid confession, for God, this petty tyrant, would be offended forever if I didn't seek forgiveness for each transgression.

I was one of those kids that preceded everything she uttered with the word why. You can imagine how absolutely annoying I was in asking parents and teachers to explain all the whys in the above 10 COMMANDMENTS (They always sounded like commands from a general to me). I remember the stuttering and stammering around Adultery as I pushed and pushed about how could daddy want another child's mummy.

Coveting was explained as wanting another child's toys or sweets. I had a million of those particular sins, wanting their bikes and train sets and nicer sweets than I had. I kept the priest busy every Saturday keeping track of it all.

Wanting to murder my annoying little brothers was another Big One. They drove me mad in countless ways. But even the thought of hurting them qualified as another Big One. And I thought about it a lot and had to count those thoughts and report them faithfully.

The neighbour boy would steal our balls and puncture our bicycle tires so there was no honouring happening there, let me tell you, hard as I tried and hard as I confessed my failure to do so every week.

All this to say there were no Shalts at all in my wee life. No good stuff. No guidance. No orderly 10 instructions on living in positivity. Just this heavy burden of constant sin, evidence of my own worthlessness. God was disinterested in the good stuff like hugging your baby brother when he fell and cried or sharing your biscuits with a child who never had any.

I thought the Ten Commands from this useless General were an absolute bust. And he should have tried harder with his soldier Moses who did all the chiseling and carving on the mountain top and then had to carry all that gear and big heavy stone on his back on the way back down and then yell at everyone going by that this was the way they had to live now or God would be mad at them and rain hell fire and damnation on them all lickety-split so shut up and listen you pagan heathens. 

And now in my doddery elderly condition I would condense the whole shit show of orders and neediness down to one word.

Kind. Be kind. 


24 comments:

  1. The commandments are terribly negative, aren't they. There aren't any positives at all and when god invented humans, why didn't it just instil good qualities in us. We are still paying the price for his defective inventions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everywhere Andrew. And yet there are those who take exception when I call these horrible religions cults. We were not allowed to think for ourselves which to me is the first definition.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. Yes! I too agree with the Dalai Lama. “My religion is simple. Be kind.” I was raised Catholic too, with the emphasis on original sin and all the things we were doing wrong. It stopped making sense to me when I was 10. Camus said, “To think is to be undermined.” It took me a long time to build a solid belief system, but it has held up well.
    —-Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too CM, it took me forever to unwrap myself from the terrible thinking. I explored many other religions on my journey. the closest was Buddhism but that too can be logically faulty.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. Being raised not Catholic, we still had those ten commandments. Except a priest to answer to, it was our own understanding of what they meant. Or what different folks in church told us. Or what the Catholic kids on the block yelled at us from across the street. They are indiscriminately hard on most everyone, except maybe the righteous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being not Catholic is a huge advantage Joanne, I hated the thought for me that I was born evil and had to emulate the Virgin every minute of the day. She seemed like an absolute bore.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. Hoo boy. The church I attended in small town Saskatchewan (Margo) was Lutheran. Maybe it was just Sunday School. But anyway I recall lying in bed some nights, about age 10, imagining myself burning in hell for my imperfections. I also recall sweating, begging, and praying all night for a cat to survive after it had been injured by the fan under a car's hood; I'd never again commit the particular sin I'd just committed. The cat lived, against all odds, and I've been pure as the driven snow every since. Hee!

    I'm with you. It's simple. Just be kind. How hard can it be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am familiar with those terror stricken nights and I was all of 7 getting ready for my First Confession and loaded down with sins and terrified I was die and fry for all eternity. I kept checking with my parents to make sure my baptism was real as the unbaptized, those horrible babies, went to Limbo and never saw their mum and dad again.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. Being raised Plymouth Brethren I knew all the shaln'ts but probably didn't fully understand, I think your Be Kind is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was much more of a nuisance with my endless questions when I was a child. I was relentless. They'd ship me off to my grandparents in desperation.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. No one can keep these commandments and God knew it. Ask forgiveness, do better the next time, and as you said, be kind. It's about giving grace to one another and to ourselves. We mess up. Everyone messes up. Because I'm not perfect, I know you are not perfect. I can forgive you for making a mess of things, and I hope you can forgive me. too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your philosophy on life Delaine. The golden rule applies.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. Oh, spot on! I remember making up sins because I was afraid od confessing the truth. It was all very scary, and I was guilt-ridden always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, what a load us wee kiddies carried around. Wrestling with the devil according to my kindergarten teacher, and losing the daily battle. JFC, if you're not offended by that, I hope. *grin*
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. Indeed, be kind makes a lot more sense than a depressing list of thou shalt nots. Luckily my parents weren't especially religious so they never saddled me with that daft list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were very lucky indeed Nick. We had to pray the rosary on our knees every night in the dining room A torture session - I'm not jesting. One slip, giggle or forgetting the words and punishment for the sin.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. A disproportionate focus on rules saddled a lot of us with a guilt complex and Be Kind is vastly simpler. I like it.
    The list isn't "daft" though. It's a good basic set of principles for leading a balanced life. Something as generalised as Be Kind just doesn't work for lots of people, ten commandments don't work for a lot of people. We are such a mixed up bunch we need rules for the ruls and then sub rules, that's why the law is so complex.
    I always knew about Catholic Guilt but now I see just how it is so much more toxic than Protestant guilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enormous trouble with the demands for worship and respect. I could never respect anyone who says "only me, listen to me" and wielding eternal punishment for failure to do so. It took me years to untangle myself. Emigration helped me so much.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  10. How is daughter's friend who went into hospital with COVID?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has improved, e thanks for asking. This new variant has no vaccine yet I believe though the US may have it?
      I just had a booster but the technician said it's not effective against the new variant.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  11. As someone who was also raised Catholic and attended parochial school all 12 years, this list was memorable at the time. But just how many grade school kids would have to worry about #7 ? I liked the last paragraph in this post and indeed the list could have been simplier and more positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can imagine the check-in for a child at the end of the day with a parent: Were you kind today?
      XO
      WWW

      Delete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.