Thursday, May 21, 2015

Blogland


It's a magical place alright, our Blogland. You meet extraordinary people through their writings. One such is Sojourner who writes of her day to day life in Labrador, way north of here, dealing with the addiction issues that are so prevalent amongst the native peoples there.

One of the most awful legacies of colonialism was the introduction of diseases, dependancies, addictions and multi-generational abuses and resettlements.

She writes beautifully of landscape and peoples.

Another is the blog of my granddaughter and her cohorts in India where a select few have gone with their professor to learn about the culture of the not so privileged and teach English.

Their awareness of their white privilege and the desperate poverty they are encountering makes for an indelible experience.

And words can't convey how button-bursting proud I am of my amazing Grandgirl.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the links; I have added them to the list on my webpage, to visit in the coming days, weeks, and months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm quite touched. I love being part of this wild northern community - though I think a bear just sauntered by where I'm working. eeep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the links to the two blogs. I can't wait to read both. How impressed I am with your granddaughter! I had hoped to join the Peace Corp when retirement hit, but an autoimmune illness hit first. She's wise to do what she thinks need doing now, just in case. The world needs people like her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done to Grangirl, you deserve to be proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be too with a grandgirl like that.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.