Friday, July 08, 2016

My World of PGs*

*Paying guests


It's busy out here in my little corner of the Edge of the Atlantic. Tourism season chugs along. I run out of Nice after a few days of it. Hospitality means I have to share my home with strangers. And ensure the rooms look decent and breakfast is palatable and I'm interesting. My reviews are such that I think my PGs walk through my door expecting a performance. OK. I'll give you an example:

We had a most wonderful night with WWW. We talked and laughed like old friends. She gave us a great dinner recommendation and we had a wonderful sleep. Breakfast was lovely with homemade yogurt and partridgeberry jam as well as eggs ham oatmeal and toast and more great conversation. We really wished we had longer to stay and know we will be back next time we are on the island. WWW is the most wonderful Airbnb host we have met.

WWW made us feel right at home and this was my favorite place to stay in Newfoundland. It was like stepping back in time but with a host who was a literary genius. WWW knows so much about the area and Newfoundland that it was a real education. It was also the best breakfast of our entire trip. I would love to stay there again.

And many in this vein. Which is wonderful for business but if you're like me, a gregarious loner, it can be a little wearying. Reading the reviews I fall in love with myself a bit and want to visit me but then I gladly welcome back my inner Cranky Crone and joked around with Daughter the other day asking her should I present CC to the guests, a la The Soup Nazi and bark orders at them to go to their rooms and not disturb me and if they don't wash the dishes tonight they won't get any breakfast in the morning, and only use one tiny towel as the others are just for show, and if they want sheets it'll be $100 extra, etc.

All in good fun and a stress buster. My guests are quite lovely. I just hosted an opera singer and his dancer girlfriend who were cycling around the Avalon. He and I bonded over Gilbert & Sullivan, he is set to play the lead in the Pirates of Penzance in January in Toronto.

And then there was the doctor and her wife who were so incredibly well-travelled and interesting and invited me to stay in Vancouver with them anytime I wanted.

And the French couple who were working in Guadaloupe who were on their way to St. Pierre and Miguelon to visit friends. There are many such French outposts on our globe.

Then there was elder-biker, a seasoned road warrior, and I can't forget the Quebec father and daughter couple and.......

And yeah, I get paid for this.

Which is the icing on le gateau.

As you can see, the francais is rubbing off on me.

Time for the Cranky Crone to emerge.

19 comments:

  1. What breakfast will the cranky crone offer vegetarians?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do eggs we're all set there, Ramana. Newfoundland ham is optional. It's a big breakfast :)

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. You did really well and I think you enjoyed it more than you admitted!
    Good on you!
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do quite well with it Maggie. I kid a bit about the cranky crone. I can be quite charming without effort sometimes, LOL

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. You are quite the brave lady to allow strangers into your home. I would have so much trouble doing this, afraid they would show up, be terrible people and then refuse to leave the premises. I am quite the pessimist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These people come with reference and are verified, DKZ, so I've never had a whit of trouble and have quite a bit of fun with them actually.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I don't know about the wonderful, Ernestine, I try not to think about what I'd prefer to be doing and accept and enjoy things as they are.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. You will miss them in the fall - wait and see! But I can understand how you feel - knit yourself a do not disturb sign and tell them you have "an illness" that sometimes demands solitude - or maybe you and your dog just need to talk privately?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Betty, I need more of a recovery period after they've left, my age I do believe is catching up with me. Guests are quite respectful, it's just when they leave I often feel like crashing for a while and I do. Oh for younger bones!!
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. It's the "I try not to think what I'd rather be doing" thing that sometimes hangs me up though I do try to enjoy some part of every day...and I wish for my younger and less compromised body as well...Glad you were able to enjoy and I hope you can rest some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes E if I'm writing or knitting I'm totally enjoying myself. The creative process is such a gift. I try to relax with guest duties but it's still a stress until everyone is gone.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. "I fall in love with myself a bit and want to visit me." I love it! Yes, it must be very tempting to turn off Super Welcoming for a while and switch to Cranky Crone instead. That may work for one or two trendy guesthouses but I doubt it would have any widespread appeal. One Basil Fawlty is quite enough!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick, fortunately I am recharged now, took the day off yesterday and had a great relaxing time away from the demands of PGs.

    Limited appeal in indeed for Cranky Crone.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. As long as it's seasonal, you can rev up and deliver. B & B proprietors burn out here in Hawaii or become grumpy or routine in their hospitality.
    If I ever get up your way, I would love to stay at your place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have you Hattie. You'd like Newfoundland!
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I do except now and again I do get exhausted RJA!
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  11. I always say I'm a sociable introvert, which is about the same, I guess, as a gregarious loner. I need down time after being with people. But great to get those glowing reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.