Thursday, January 20, 2022

The Clothes Line


 

Of all the many pictures (with resulting cards and prints) I have taken over the years this one has been the most popular. I had repeat orders  of hundreds of cards printed. And it was also featured in a calendar. The reason I am writing about this is because of Lana, my dear friend who has dementia/ Alzheimer's.

I sent her one of these cards a few weeks ago. I had sent one to her before when it was first published but of course there is no memory of that. Every day is fresh to her.

She was upset she was in lockdown when I called her on Monday night. She is confused in that she thinks she has Covid and hates her meals being delivered and misses her walks. She's in a luxury building and paces her room. Fifty feet long, she tells me. She counts the steps. Having seen pictures of the interior or her residence, I believe her. Enormous rooms.

"But," she said, "You sent me this card. And I put it under a small lamp beside my bed. And every night I stare at this picture after I've read the poem you had printed on the back and it puts me to sleep with a smile on my face."

Some Day on Clothes

The blues 

Dance through

His shirt

My skirt

Flit Lift

Snap Spin

And I couldn't stop crying when I got off the phone.


21 comments:

  1. I don't blame you for crying, Mary. Sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all surprised you wept. I am misty here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so many layers of feeling EC. Hard to nail them all down.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. Lump in the throat here as I marvel at her words and yours. My mother-in-law has lost her words and is also in lockdown in memory care. Also a lovely place but not a huge room. We just hope she remembers us once we can return. We continue in messy and difficult times. Kim in PA (USA)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry about your MIL Kim, it must be so difficult. I sure hope she remembers you all too.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. It is a cruel disease, with the only positive being that you say for her each day is like a new one. Covid is cruel in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am so grateful she knows who I am every Monday night Andrew, so so grateful.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. I love the photo and can imagine the fresh winds softeninig the washing.

    You are teaching me how to respond to dementia. I hope I never need to know but I am going to assume someone I know and love will get it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The never ask questions rule really applies, Kylie as it throws Lana into panic and it also did that with my friend Chuck. I let her guide the conversation mainly. But ask her to expand on things she says like what colours are her curtains, etc.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. It's a lovely picture. I can imagine the crisp, fresh smell of the clothing being brought in. I'd love a fifty foot room. Does she have just the one room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's in a fairly posh care home facility. Something I could never afford TBH. Her son is quite wealthy and pays for everything. And it is luxurious.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. "Every day is fresh to her." This is a beautiful description of dementia. I cry with you and rejoice in poem and pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlotte, what a lovely thing to say.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. I had this card and gave it away. I hope the recipient treasures it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joanne, thank you for saying that and a PS Niece who has one of your towels said to me over Christmas that your towel that I gave her the previous Christmas is still like new after serving her and her big family for a year.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. How interesting that it's the most popular picture. Certainly there's something about clothes drying in the open air that is appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue fog over the ocean was part of it too Nick as it's so unusual reflecting both the sky and the water.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  10. How difficult it becomes when we experience first-hand the decline of a dear friend or loved one. A lovely photo and sentiment that triggers memories especially for those of certain generations.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.