Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Thrifty Bits

I used up some yarn bits to make this sofa-neck cushion. It's all cotton so washable.

Odd this, it's not in the last bit "lumpy" the photo is fighting this truth.


The top showing buttons I found in the button jar.


It took an inordinate amount of time because of my moodiness and why-bothering with myself. Pain and lack of sleep effects us all in weird ways.

I was out today and took myself off to my favourite thrift store. A large palace of a place chock a block with a vast range of goodies.

For just under $10 I got the following:


A juice glass for mornings, I didn't have one and juice looks so pathetic in a tumbler. Two sets of bookends. One gorgeous journal with TWO ribbon markers and its own pen in a holder, and a neat standup wooden frame for current card/postcard received with a double rubber band at the bottom to hold in place.

I had good news from nephrologist in that my kidneys have been stable for a while now but he warned me that flu/covid could kill me as my kidneys could not handle either.

There's a party here on December 9th but, and a huge BUT it is, 90% of the residents in my building don't wear masks and I really can't risk it, unless things improve. 

How's Covid where you live? I see the US has a huge increase in the last wee while particularly with pediatric cases (and pediatric deaths). Here the deaths in the past month overshadow the beginnings of the pandemic. But still, people tell each other "it's over" and "it's embarrassing to wear a mask, it's over-reacting to nothing."

Right. 

17 comments:

  1. Our current covid numbers are still low but on the rise and the experts are warning it will get worse. My boss almost lost her husband to covid this year and the strain she is still under is immense. Mask wearing isn't embarrassing, it's sensible.
    You did well with your haul of goodies. I always prefer a glass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that cushion cover. Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our COVID numbers are also still low, but I'm sticking with masks and have had the bivalent booster.

      Delete
  3. After a summer of going maskless, we are back to masking indoors. I still go early (8:00 a.m.) to the grocery store to avoid the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every precaution probably is not enough! While the hospital requires masks, I'll wear them elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't a tumbler also a glass and what's the difference? Covid here is coming in waves like on the beach, a surge with many cases per day, then easing for a while, then another surge and so on. We are currently in surge mode so I am still wearing masks in shops and on public transport.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cushion cover and your finds. We are in a surge at the moment, and my covid nurse tells me that even masked it is still transmissable if others are not wearing masks. Which might explain how I caught it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cases here have risen but expected to soon reduce. I am now wearing an N95 mask now in busy areas and on public transport. While it harder to breathe, I do feel more protected. What cheerful news from your nephrologist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annie here. I make judgment calls about when and where to wear a mask. This being a university town I know the Omicron is out there and I may very well have already been exposed. I am not out and about a lot so I don't really know how good or bad the situation is locally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a box of masks here and make sure I take one if I go out, but then the only place I'm going these days is medical and I must wear one there. I can hear someone in my building with the "covid cough" now for over a week. It hurts to hear her. I hope someone is helping, but where do you draw the line for privacy? Emma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would you have been able to do that little shopping trip without your car? Asking because seniors here are having their licences taken away if they have any illness or conditio at all! Just when you need a car most.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The condition of hospitals is worsening: not enough beds, too many waiting in ER, again no visitors. I wear a mask to some places, especially now that the virus numbers are increasing--flu, Covid, RSV. I've had all the vaccinations and I still practice most of the pandemic protocols, but I'm not wearing a mask when I do story time at school and church. I want to engage with the children.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The covid infection rate is quite low in Northern Ireland, so it's not a big problem. But there's a lot of long covid around, plus a lot of serious illnesses that weren't attended to during the pandemic. So hospitals and GPs have a heavy workload.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here in North Carolina we're not having as much Covid as the flu and RSV. There is some Covid though and I'm certain it will get worse as we approach colder weather. I'm not seeing much mask wearing, but I wear mine and am fully vaccinated and boosted. And so are my daughters and grandchildren. Be prepared I say!
    Marge

    ReplyDelete
  14. If your health is compromised better to err on the side of caution and stay away from social gatherings. We still wear a mask in all public places and have no plans to do otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just spoke to a young woman who said her doctor told her she may be suffering the side effects of undiagosed covid from last year: "It just goes on and on" he said. Yesterday in Safeway saw an old guy wearing his mask down around his chin. Emma

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you know the story in which a king marches in parade and everyone exclaims over his new clothes? Only one person has the courage to point out that he is actually naked and says so...People are treating COVID that way because it is much easier than giving up their habits and learning to live differently and our politicians are either cowardly or only worry about being re-elected.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.