Saturday, December 03, 2022

Catch Up

 I've been writing and editing and meeting with writers and neglected the blog. I apologise. I need to catch up with you all too.

I went for a walk yesterday. This would mean nothing to most of you but I'm telling you, this was a very major thing for me.

I went without George, my cane, scoped the area (it was a path around a lake - called ponds here no matter the size - I'm very fond of as it was one of Ansa's favourites) to check for resty spots and headed off. It wasn't much of a walk but boy after so very long being so very immobilized it was enormous to me. I was so happy I cried.

I had missed the cheerful greetings of strangers on little hikes, genuine good mornings and how are you doings. I had missed the winter birds bombing around, missed the myriads of dogs being walked ready to greet me. Missed the mittens and wee hat and a goodly scarf around my neck. Like a winter-walking human being.

Yesterday, in total, I had completed 2,000 steps in my day. Unimaginable even a couple of months ago while I was still, in the dark hours of the night, sleeping napping, curled up like a pretzel in pain in my recliner for months thinking a bed would never be in my future again.

But life is strange and wonderful and full of surprises. 

And I'm packing a lot of it in at the moment. I've been playing this. A favourite from the seventies and always relevant to my life for some reason.


And my Christmas cactus is right on time with her blooms with a bit of competition from the African violet.

A powerful lesson in embracing just the moments. As life can change in a heartbeat.


 


19 comments:

  1. Did you use a walker? I haven't got past that yet, with icy sidewalks. But it's a strange celebration when I can walk the 30 steps length of my apartment. They are calling what I experience a neuropathy, and there is proof (on their own website) that Pfizer's vaccine can cause it. Be sure to get your vaccine I urged family and friends. Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2000 steps is a tremendous victory Emma

      Delete
    2. I haven't used a walker Emma but I did have George, my trusty cane and a wheelchair for distance, mainly in the highly inaccessible state of the art (LOL) Health Sciences Centre here and believe it or nor hikes with granddaughter who is a great pusher and goes for miles with Granny in the wheelchair urging her on.
      XO
      WWW.

      Delete
  2. Oh how wonderful for you. Truly, blissfully wonderful. A small walk for some, and a huge one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I know you understand the challenges EC, and so grateful for your support (and applause!)
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. I am truly delighted that you were able to get out for a walk and I am sure it was therapeutic in more ways than one. I hope it has inspired you to do it again. The number of steps, while not being irrelevant is only a small part of the story. The wind in your face, the dog wagging its tail, the cheery greeting - that's the real story. Congratulations. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, it's a place I never, ever thought I'd be again. So never say never. I bawled like a baby.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. Two thousand steps is not to be sneezed at and it sounds like you felt so much better for it. Like Christmas has happened here your cactus has peaked far too early. Hopefully it will still look good for the day but I am not sure I can withstand the Christmas onslaught for another three weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Andrew, we celebrate Solstice and do the Icelandic book exchange which suits the whole clan of us down to the ground.
      If I hear one more carol I will scream.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
    2. Maybe you'd like to know how most if not all of our Christmas Carols were written by Jews? Emma

      Delete
  5. I'm so happy for you! You've inspired me to go walk and shoot for 2,000 - but with my rollator (MS). Hope your feeling good and ability streak continues wells into the holidays and beyond. Appreciated the intro to the Cat Stevens song too. Kim in PA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please write more about embracing the moments. Does that include people you cannot forgive? Up until now.. . Or? Emma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annie here. Nothing like a walk around a pond. Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always good to see you back at it, though there is something to be said for being too happily busy to update! xoxo Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cat Stevens is one of my ten favorite singers. I do love to walk a lot during the day. Can't really do very long walks anymore (just a few short years ago, I did about three miles per day at 8,000 foot elevation) but even a short one with the smells and sounds and vista of the out-of-doors can make my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to know you're now much more mobile after months of frustration. Funny that lakes are called ponds!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.