Friday, December 30, 2022

Time Management

 Do others find this far more challenging as we age? I know I certainly do. I'm a former multi-tasker (and yes, I know, the jury is still out on whether this actually works or not) so I have to really, really prioritize and manipulate my time carefully. I can't be rushed anymore as the befuddling starts. That feeling of being overwhelmed.

One task at a time is important. Don't move me off my plan. I was adverse to being firm about this but now, yes, I am. No more galloping off spontaneously in gay abandon, on to the next adventure, no thought to the unfinished left behind.

I am careful with my time, careful with my energy. I saw this recently and it resonated with me:


So much doesn't feed the soul spirit. The news, all dreadful, with tiny exceptions, energy vampires, pessimists, I could add to the list. I'm not a believer in new year's resolutions I am more into subtracting that which doesn't enhance my life and there is much of that kicking around. 

We had a lovely holiday season apart from one dear family member who had a positive Covid test the day after we left which stressed us out a bit for the five days clearance time. She didn't infect any of us.

A second holiday dinner on Boxing Day had our host with a diagnosis of returning terminal cancer and it was bitter sweet for all concerned as we made the best of it and shed tears where he couldn't see us. So very poignant.

I am hoping everyone had a better emotional time of it than that and all was peaceful and jolly in your worlds.

Apologies for not being on top of your blogs but it's been hectic here with the revolving door of guests staying, leaving, bed linens, towels, food planning and general and enjoyable hopping around with cars borrowed, returned, pickups. Quite a whirl but I wouldn't change it and all respected my need for peaceful time management. So yes, I did slow down and just enjoy the company and the love.

What I did notice in the two fairly large gatherings we were at was that there was no drinking of alcohol. At all. So all was peaceful. I find alcohol at these gatherings raises the voices and often the temperature - if you catch the drift.

Happy, happy New Year 2023 to all. 

May it see us all, if nothing else, contented.



24 comments:

  1. I still do some multi-tasking (within defined limits) but many things I now find I can only accomplish by focusing on them. So yes, I understand. Despite some sadness and some upheaval I am so glad that you had some precious (so VERY precious) time with people you love.
    No resolutions here either. I fail at enough things without needing to add any more to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years back I resolved no more resolutions, EC. Setting myself up to fail. We just do the best we can. And try to be kind.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. Contentment would be a wonderful thing for 2023. We too had our Christmas upset by Covid. In this case, my DIL. She was at least able to get home so we all slogged on with her on zoom! Too bad, tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear PT, these unexpected setbacks remind us of our human frailty.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. Good points to ponder as the year winds down. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am male, so of course very bad at multi tasking. I do not like having things left unfinished. I sit here until I've read all blog posts on my list and replied to earlier comments. Left undone, I would be in great fear I would so behind I would never catch up.

    It was a bit of mixed Christmas for you, by the sound of it but still, I hope mostly enjoyable. Happy 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Andrew. The hunter-gatherer vs the home/child carer comes to mind as in multi-tasking being the purview of the females of the species :D
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. I used to be a multi-tasker too, but these days my life revolves around routine more than ever. First thing after breakfast, I go to buy the paper and anything ese I might need, today the extra was milk to see me through since the shops will be closed on Sunday and Monday. When I get home I read the paper, do the crosswords and have lunch. After lunch I turn on the laptop and the rest of the day is lost to the internet. The bed gets made only if Lola gets off it, washing is done if the day is hot enough to dry everything quickly. Forget about general housework and only vacuum if visitors are expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like your lifestyle River, it's such a shame that our years on the planet are so short and not allowing more of this sort of thing!
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. I've always avoided being over-committed and trying to do too many things at once. If I need to say no, I'll say it.

    Christmas was good, just the two of us doing our favourite things and eating our favourite food. We also had a great chess championship, having not played chess for many many months. The only negative was the death of a friend from a mixture of Strep A and sepsis, after 2½ weeks in intensive care. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Nick, I've lost a few over the holiday season in the past, one my best friend, one my favourite aunt and we never forget the season is fraught with sadness too.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. Nope, no resolutions, but rounding off and cleaning out. And a bit starting anew. New folders in the computer, new prompts for the challenges, new writing book (a diary that's not a diary ;) ).
    May the new year be kind to us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting fresh, as my meditation today said: cleaning the daily slate and advancing with a fresh innocence and expectation. I love the imagery of that and of your image.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. Letting go of the things that drag us down is wonderful advice. If only I could let go of washing dishes, I might live unencumbered :)
    A very happy new year to you, WWW. I hope you continue in good-ish health with lots of fulfilling activities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kylie. I believe if dishes drove me mad again I'd resort to cardboard. I know - real, real bad thoughts, but hey, I'm old :D But regaining some health has made me grateful for my legs and their revitalization and the dishes and being able to wash them at one standing.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear about your host. We've had plenty of experience with cancer so we know how terrible it can be, so our hearts go out to you and yours. Otherwise ... I am definitely a mono-tasker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tom. Reminds us all how fragile and precious life is on this tiny planet of ours.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  10. I think that muti-tasking is an inherent condition for all of us, having been done as a matter of routine before a term was coined for it. A mother would know that better than anyone. Happy New Year! I hope that 2023 is great for you with excessive multi-tasking banished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. Yes, one thing at a time is the new me. And backatcha on the wishes!
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  11. Wishing you happy new year. Sorry about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you e and backatcha as we say out here. May the sun shine brightly on all of us in 2023.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  12. Happy New Year!
    I am a multi-tasker too. I am happy that the holidays are over, I like the normalness of my days without the pressure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,, it's taken me a while Jackie but I do love the peace of normal now and the serenity of routine.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.