Friday, January 05, 2024

Silent White


From my bedroom window this morning.

It descends gently at first. A teaser you might call, not threatening at all. But we check the forecasts and know the onslaught is coming soon.

Cancellations pour in, schools, businesses, my helper. No one wants to get caught in the blizzard. Our first winter storm.

Some wag on Facebook said we should close the entire island for the three months of January through March.

My suggestion would be to dig out an underground city. Or at least a smaller version of the hefty one in Toronto. Where there was still a teeming life - noon time bands, many restaurants, retail, medical even a grocery outlet. I could leave my home in the snow in my business suit, no coat or mitts or scarf, warm in my car, and park underground from where I worked. The vast underground life of the city of Toronto. A huge sprawl. Unaffected by weather of any kind. Subway and railway station accessible without going outdoors.


Toronto underground PATH map.

I groceried myself yesterday so I'm prepared. I am also well booked. And kitted with knitting and a queue of streaming at my disposal.

In this new year I am playing my music every day. A mix of songs I would sing in the old folky theatre days, classical. What have you. Today it is Albinoni which lifts the heavy grey sky into summery blue. 

A lovely handmade bag with an inner bag and zippered pockets arrived from Daughter's school friend in Ottawa. I am thrilled beyond measure by her kindness. It will be perfect for my sock projects.

I was intrigued that my phone camera shows the Albinoni album I am playing. A trick I probably couldn't possibly engineer myself. I love accidental discoveries. I feel digitally thrilled as a brother gave me this incredible Bluetooth speaker that enhances the sound on my phone to concert levels.


20 comments:

  1. That bag is truly gorgeous. Practical AND lovely.
    And ooh, those snowy scenes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they cool you down EC, I know summer is far too hot and getting hotter.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. Those bluetooth speakers don't have to be big to produce quite good sound. Google knows where I live. Google knows when I pause at a shop. Good knows that where Sister lives is a very desirable place for older sea changers. Google knew I was idly looking in real estate agent windows at local homes for sale near Sister. Hey presto, local real estate ads straight to my phone. Matters tech have ceased to surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto here Andrew, visits to my podiatrist, clinic, pharmacy are tracked and heaven knows my prescriptions too as I get ads with advice on bettering certain health conditions. All the predictions were true. We are leashed to the Great Master of the Universe.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are in for a major dump of snow, but that’s just part of being in Newfoundland, isn’t it? If you are well provisioned and warm then you can handle it with equanimity. As for the bag, I am covetous of it and don’t even need it nor know what I would use it for! Stay safe - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah a fellow bag man. I had to haul myself in from collecting them a few years back. I needed Bags Anonymous in a big way. One thing out here on The Edge, the snow ploughs are on the job in a blink of an eye. A massive improvement from Ontario when the "3rd level" busy road I lived on could wait days for a plough. At 6.a.m. the clean up was started and it's now clear.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. Such a gorgeous and useful bag. What a kind girl. We are forecast a small snow dump this weekend. A couple of inches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's often dependent on the wind too as the drifts can pile high. As you probably well know. A kind old fellow in my building cleans off my car which really really helps.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. The bag is beautiful to look at. Glad you are well sorted with groceries. I never knew that Toronto has an underground city teeming with life. I shall have to google for images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of ants, River, humans are like ants, hunting for for food, etc. Yes, the underground life was marvelous, hotels could be accessed too and business meets held away from the offices in cafes. Without having to throw on an overcoat or ride anywhere. All the skyscrapers are linked underground in downtown Toronto.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. I hope you continue to make digital discoveries and enjoy that speaker. Love the bag. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e, it must all sound so alien to you way down in the sunny south!
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
    2. Overcast and rainy here...Not much sun.

      Delete
    3. Nasty today. I hope you are okay.

      Delete
  7. I like seeing the pics out your window; the changed seasons. And of course anything in your city, where I've never been. And I have 10,000 bags that never get used and have to start parting with some. But oh how I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bag love is a Big Thing. Apart from the grocery ones, I'm down to manageable. (I think)
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. Snow is lovely to look at but hell to travel in, love that bag, so pretty. I've read some of those books and agree with you, life's too short to read a book you don't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as we age, the we have less time to waste on bad anything or stuff that doesn't appeal.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. The snow looks wonderful, and it always baffles me how little snow is able to throw a spanner in the works. It sounds like you are at least prepared. Well done and in a beautiful bag even.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good friend of mine here in the UK frequently visits her sister in Toronto. She is full of praise for its amenities and general vibe!
    I've made a note of your book list - I must start reading fiction again; I've found it hard to since Covid for some reason, all I want to read is the news.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.