Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sublime!


I was at The Canadian Opera Company's production of Tosca last night in our glorious opera house.

This is my third attendance of this opera over the years and it was the best production so far. It is a particularly poignant opera for me as it was banned in Ireland for a long time due to its negative representation of the Catholic church.

My father had a love of opera and a fine singing voice and to overcome such censorship of this glorious music, the amateur musical groups to which he belonged would adapt the arias into suitable English and sing these excerpts in local concerts in local town halls. To give everyone a bit of a taste as to what they were missing. I'm talking the twenties and thirties here. In small town Ireland. He never did see Tosca in his lifetime.

I think of him as I let the music swirl around me and allow my senses to be wrapped completely in the power of this particular production. I have the fancy that I go for him as well as for me as he took me to my very first opera when I was fifteen, in Cork's Opera House. A spell binding production of Madama Butterfly. Thank you, Daddy.

And if there are angels, one of them is Mikhail Agafonov, an incredible tenor, an astonishing voice, who played Cavaradossi to a rapturous sold out audience. Bravo!

I cried.

12 comments:

  1. Double pleasure the Opera and the memories bringing you close to your father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have the fancy that I go for him as well as for me"

    It's a comforting thought isn't it WWW? I do the same myself, often, when doing things I know my long-gone loved ones would have enjoyed so much.

    I've never attended a full opera performance since schooldays, when our 6th form gals put on Il Trovatore. I fell in love with that.

    Glad to read that you had such a good evening, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GM:
    You nailed it!
    XO
    WWW
    Twilight:
    I so agree to be accompanied by the ones who made it all possible, so to speak!
    And what an ambitious production you 6th Formers put together! How was it received?
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Received very well - it was an English translation though. The original would have been beyond us, and the audience of parents and friends.

    I still remember the opening line:

    "The Count De Luna on his first child doted......"

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never could appreciate opera, I'm just not on the right wavelength whatever it is. A pity, because Jenny's a great opera buff and is always short of someone to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick:
    Interestingly enough, and for what it is worth, it is said that people who are truly in touch with their own emotions do not 'get' opera.
    So there you go!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Twilight:
    I am so impressed, it must have been months and months of rehearsal!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. My step granny let me borrow her season ticket as a teenager, so I went to see quite a few operas.

    My favourite by far was Verdi's 'Aida,' I loved it, it was a truly beautiful experience.

    I love thinking of you feeling close to your lovely daddy whilst sitting in the opera house. I would have cried too, tears of joy.

    H
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. H:
    I think it truly wonderful to be exposed as a teenager to the wonderful world of classical music. Yes, I love "Aida" too. Maybe one of these days you'll get to see opera again?
    My daddy had a very dark side too so all was not paradise but I like to think of him in his sunnier times.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's a YouTube page consisting of various artists' renditions/performances here, WWW.

    You (and others) may like to compare some of them.

    Also, Aida.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the links, Richard, awesome!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.