Thursday, March 14, 2013

Blog Jam



Spring arrives on the Avalon Peninsula

Do you ever wonder why the clergy of the RC still go around in dresses whenever they get the chance? I suppose I don't care enough to do research on this but, seriously, how can anyone take them seriously in their outrageous getups with eyeboggling headgear (Hello Ascot! Envious yet?) as they blather on and on about poverty?
******************************
It was one of those moments at cards the other night. A regular player had a stroke and had returned after several months' absence. In fine fettle, I should add. He looked a bit gaunt but otherwise cheerful. I asked him how he was doing - "Oh I've had full recovery from the stroke,"he said, "But this week they told me I had cancer." I sympathized, appalled, said something about dreadful luck. For what does one say?

Halfway through our games, the facilitator came over with an envelope and handed it to him. "There's a $100 for you from the takings tonight. For the cancer." A few years ago I would have internally laughed a bit. Quaint country ways and all that. How cute these natives are, etc. But not anymore. I wanted to cry. I was so touched by the dignity with which he took it, as he bowed in gratitude to all of us, and tucked it away. Surely his burden is easier knowing we cared enough to give him a little pocket money for the bleak days ahead?
******************************
I run up against myself sometimes. I was out and about the other day in a fairly untrammeled area, rough cliff edge, rocks, forging my way through primitive terrain. As I stood atop a low cliff with the dog barging ahead, I thought: if I jump from here elderbones might snap and no one would find me for weeks. I envisioned the funeral scene full of "silly woman, she leaped from the cliff and splatted herself on the rocks below." I turned and walked away. This is the first time this has happened. I've always jumped. Another concession.
******************************
Don't you just love it when someone gets in your car (your gas, your insurance, your maintenance, your monthly payment) as happened to me today and then immediately complained it needed a good wash? I had a marvellous comeback though and I'll share it. "Yes," I said, "I know that. Would you like to pay for one for me?"



10 comments:

  1. You know, people who think all that stuff about the Pope is interesting obviously have no lives of their own. It's like all that gushing about the royal family. And as Kate Clinton puts it, "The Pope is a peepeehead."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hattie I continue to be completely amazed at the numbers that are so caught up in it, spouting about a clean sweep.
    No. He's a misogynist AND completely intolerant of gays.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. The complainer's name is legion. My solution, and the only one that ever worked for me, because, as a wise friend once told me, 'from a pig, you only get grunts," is to walk away. They can find another ride or waLK.
    By the way, what was the comeback? Silence? A harumph? Or a lame apology?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marc:

    A combination of harumph and silence.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. And what do the clergy wear UNDER the dresses do you think? A lacy camisole? A corset? French knickers?

    It seems quite natural to stand on a cliff and imagine oneself falling off it and being smashed to pieces on the rocks. But only the totally desperate would turn the fantasy into reality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick:
    I spluttered my after dinner coffee all over the keyboard, thanks. French knickers are my bet. Are they the ones with the convenient slit?
    See how naive I am?
    Oh this was a very low cliff Nick, about 2 feet, not a bother on me even 2 years ago but now?? Might as well be a hundred feet.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only dresses, but dresses in primary colours!

    I recently mentioned. In conversation with a gay man that I cannot understand why women would want to be bishops.
    It's the frocks, dear, he said.

    I don't see myself spla t at the foot of a Cliff, I see myself hanging. How is that for gruesome?


    I like"blog jam".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hanging from what, pray tell? Yikes.

    Could be an interesting obit if you work on it :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Because they're hypocrites?
    *******
    That's very sweet.
    ********
    Some concessions are worth making.
    ********
    I think I'd just offer to let them walk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have said "Would you mind terribly washing it for me? I would even pay you to."

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.