Sunday, February 18, 2024

Friendships


They become more precious as we age, we lose some and we gain some if we are fortunate. I still grieve the many I have lost to death, a couple to dementia, another long time one through intolerable disrespect and passive aggression.

We can hit breaking points in friendships. For me they have been rare and I'm grateful for that. One broke many years ago when she became angry at me for an offhand remark and she exploded at me in a café in front of others. She didn't speak to me for many years and then at a funeral of a mutual friend she came running into my arms and wept like a baby and kept apologizing for her over- reaction to my comment in the café. It healed the friendship and she said my remark had reflected her own truth about the situation but she wasn't ready to face it.

In another friendship I bore hostility until there was a breaking point. I was always making excuses for a particular friend. "She's having a rough time, I understand she's taking it out on me." "She's fierce odd, I know." But after many years of that, there was a breaking point, a wakeup call that I no longer felt  good around her. In fact, the justifications and excuses were becoming hard work and happening more and more. Chronic lateness for meetups, rudeness to other friends, snide criticisms "you're wearing that?" and on and on until something snapped inside me and I realized this long term friendship was serving neither of us well.

The long term friendships in my life I cherish and I realize the common element is kindness. We are kind to each other. Tolerant. Helpful. There are no hidden agendas. 

I also discovered in old age asking for help can initiate new friendships. I've always been reluctant to ask for help. But recently I mentioned I don't drive at night anymore and the offers of driving me astonished me. This has ignited a few acquaintances into becoming a little more. One is off to Bali for a few months (I know, I'm jealous too) but she told her house sitter, a mutual acquaintance, that I might need rides at night now and again and bingo I'm enjoying this connection now. People love to help. I always love to help. And did a lot of it when younger and older people wanted rides or company. It must be karma.

Blog friends are also wonderful. Sharing our journeys with each other. Writing and tracking each other's lives, our talents and foibles, our struggles and victories.

I truly believe friendships are sustaining us as we age, the daily check-ins, the emails, the WhatsApps, the Facebooks exchanges, the texts, the phone-calls. And yes, postcards, cards, letters.

After all, we are simply walking each other home.


Music and Friends: This is played at the end of gatherings here where everyone gets in a circle and holds hands. I always get emotional. And I do hope you readers outside Canada can see it. It is very, very Newfoundland.


22 comments:

  1. My sentiments exactly - nothing makes the world right like music & friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure lightens the spirits and swirls the important things of life into focus, Mona.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
    2. How wonderful that all is--love it! I wanted to jump into the singing and dancing right along with them. What a great feeling. Thank you.

      Delete
    3. It never fails to lift my spirits and I honestly believe if we all held hands and sang together there would be no war. We need a matriarchal global movement.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. I wonder where you want to go buzzing off to in the dark. No matter, it is nice that people are so kind. It is easy to be kind to some people. It is hard to be kind to others, but we need to try. Often the proudest who protest that they are fine are the ones who need the most help.

    The scene in the clip looks so, so Irish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Newfoundland is very Irish Andrew. I go out and meet with supportive friends over chats and coffee. Something I have sorely missed during lockdown. Exchange ideas and the healing power of hugs.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. I love making friends in all sorts of places, and as of late, a good place is social media. I've recently connected with two women who I've gotten to know through Facebook. We all live in the same city, and have some commonalities, and some differences. One has been married four times, I've been married to the same man for 49 years, and one has never been married. We've really hit it off and seem to be progressing with this new friend thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too am amazed at how we meet friends. I have met blog friends in real life and it is so affirming when we know each other through writings and exchanges. Social media is also brilliant.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. I had two close friends, one of forty years and one thirty odd. Both are complete opposite of me, politically. You probably can see where this lead in this country, beginning with the presidential election of 2016. Someone else told me of the deliberate ending of friendships advocated by that party and by some mega churches. For whatever reason, both abruptly ended friendships, citing nothing in common. I've made new friends, but there is a certain sadness in not having a shared history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing about this Joanne, you are not alone. The Trump cult has destroyed so many friendships as the connecting points of these relationships vanish. I also have trouble with the bible thumpers who sprinkle every conversations with God's Will etc and never, ever give credit to the medical teams who save their lives or their friends who support them. Or remain powerless to help themselves leaving it all up to Sky God.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful post and you are so right. Some sustain while others wane. I'm glad you are making new connections. I need to work on that I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to connect with younger 'uns, e. A fresher look at life and asking for help can be the doorway.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. I lost a good friend many years ago, the fault was mine, and I haven't seen nor heard from her since and sometimes wonder if she is okay. She had been diagnosed with MS just before we broke up.
    I think have more blog friends now than I have in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sad, River, we can miss those old friendships and the memories when times were better. I've lost a lot of blog friends and miss them terribly. I learned so much.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. What an absolutely lovely song - I made a note of it and was very surprised it wasn't filmed in Ireland - now I understand why you love living there. It looks like Ireland without the hangups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the "other Ireland," YS and you will find many documentaries on it on YouTube, etc. Irish dialect, Irish Folklore Department at the university. I felt instantly at home here when I first visited. And the draw was so enormous I moved here twenty years ago and never looked back.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. Lovely post www. Without friends, life is meaningless. Thank you for your recent comment on my neglected! Made me feel less forgotten.Glad you're sounding well and absolutely love that song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've always enjoyed your posts Molly and miss you when you're not on board the blog wagon. Our circle gets smaller as we age into stardust so far more precious.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed the song and the obvious warmth and enjoyment of the band!
    I don't have enough friends but I keep trying :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be challenging finding "our people" Kylie particular as we age. Community gatherings with a commonality of purpose are excellent. And sadly, there are many lonely people out there.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  10. Interesting that asking for help can initiate new friendships. And interesting that so many people offered to drive you around. I've always had trouble maintaining friendships for long periods, not sure why. I'm lucky I have one very long-standing close friend, namely Jenny.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.