Thursday, February 15, 2024

Small Stuff

I'd like to post more here but a dearth of any kind of originality discourages me. I struggle with the acceptance of aging and not being able to do all the things I did. Spontaneity is missing. I have to weigh my energy carefully and limit myself to what my energy allows me.

Fitbit update: I find tracking my sleep is helpful as I am then prepared for what I can do in a day and not beat myself up because EVERYTHING. Everything doesn't happen anymore. Iffy health plays a part in this too and I try and focus on gratitude for all I can do, not what I can't. Most of the elder blogs I followed are now RIP. I looked down the list the other day and was shocked at how all those dear ones have now returned to stardust. 

A friend in my building dropped off these roses the other day and they made my day.


I'm not into knitting big projects at the moment so contented myself with knitting a little pile of these dish/face cloths which I give away individually as gifts in a little gauze bag with a small soap and a magnet. Let me know if any of you out there would like one.

We've had an ongoing blizzard here and I took this photo from my living room window at midnight last night after the snow plow had been. I love the effects of the lights.

In my more active days I took a series of photos and named them #40shadesofblue and this one popped up in my memories today from five years ago. I love this shot.

And finally a picture of something that is affecting us all, especially those of us on a fixed income.





20 comments:

  1. You are certainly right about the groceries cart and the expense and I also get having to marshal your energy to avoid illness or exhaustion. Love the knitting and colors and little Miss Dior sends greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I misread your label for the shopping cart, seeing least expensive vehicle...and relating that to what I am seeing so much of around town--the elderly pushing a shopping cart along the road with all of their belongings. I see a few huddled with their cart next to a building, trying to stay out of the elements. It is a sad time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another slant to the shopping carts, Delaine. I see an old fellah out here pushing one loaded with refundable cans and bottles he picks up off the roads. And yes, the unhomed crisis is everywhere.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. I guess in the midnight shot, a lot of light is reflected around by snow.
    Yes, it is terrific photo with one lonely little boat out on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, groceries are prohibitably expensive. Will you find someone to plant that little rose come spring? And I like your snow shot. You take lovely pictures from that window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne. We have stunning gardens around here so I will find a spot for it and hope it takes.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. It's always a pleasure to read what you write, random thoughts are most welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the most expensive vehicle. I haven't used one in years. I take my small wheeled trolley and go home with it only half full. Unless I'm buying cat food or litter, then it's full so I don't have to buy again for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am continually shocked at how the grocery chains are taking advantage and their profits have never been higher while the quality goes down and shrink-flation hits every product from toilet paper to tins of fish.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. The prices of food are outrageous. And as I get older, I try to concentrate on healthier foods, but I find them so much more expensive than junk foods. I love fruit, but on social security who can afford to pay almost $9 for a box of stawberries or $1.50 for an orange. Very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a balance act for sure MX. I buy my (organic) meats in bulk and freeze. Saves me $$ in the long run. I also pre-prep meals and freeze. Soups are particularly useful for using up all veggies and freezing. Fresh fruit is worth gold, so very expensive and the wee cartons are tiny.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. Tucker Carlson was recently wowed by the coin-in-the-slot facility he discovered on a Russian shopping trolley.
    We also saw our own billionaire prime minister puzzled by the facility when he tried to do a "spontaneous" photoshoot of himself, shopping!
    Goes to show how much actual shopping they do !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true YS. Our premier was asked what was the cost of milk and he drew a complete blank. Completely detached from reality (and concern).
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. Yes indeed, that vehicle is very expensive to operate. Lots of people don't even dare to take one round the supermarket for fear of financial embarrassment. But not a problem for all those billionaires who want to keep their wealth to themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, grocery chains counting their record profits. It's an outrage for those stuck in a poverty cycle, unable to afford even the basics.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  10. I love the colors in your dishcloths. I've used that pattern too but your blocks look a little bigger than mine and I like that, but then, I admit, I'm a very tight knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to have something knit by you in my hot little hand. If you will allow me to replace the cost of postage, and I insist, then Yes Please. -Kate

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.