Saturday, February 24, 2024

Sunday Selections

 Long ago, Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if other bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I join in when I can, as do a few others. River is one, Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to their blogs and have a look.

Elephant's Child is taking a break this month.

Snow and ice and storms out in the Wild Atlantic.

For those in warmer climes, I present to you our Winters on The Rock.

We get a lot of snow. And it's quite hard to capture the "lot". For one, we have all varieties of snow removers, the ones that look like war machines all the way down in size to the personal snow blowers, and of course shovels.







The white stuff is cleared up rapidly with all these gadgets, salt and sand are thrown at the ice and we are all on our way. On a drive back to my place I snapped a few shots in an attempt to show where all the snow is thrown. It forms mountainous walls around buildings and at the sides of roads.
Parking lot of my building

If you peer closely, you'll see the ocean top left, and the lake above the trees. I left my car in the shot for scale.

Roadsides around hydrants are cleared.
And now I bring you a wonderful peculiarity of Newfoundland. When there's a storm forecast, shelves in grocery stores are literally stacked to the ceilings with these huge bags of potato chips (known as crisps elsewhere.)




There are known as, wait for it, Storm Chips. You should see the lineups. I've seen carts FULL of these monster bags. Survival mode. Batten down the hatches.

One of my favourite songs involving snow. Written by Gordon Lightfoot. Sung by Sarah McLachlan.


10 comments:

  1. What a lovely comment you made on my post today! Toronto St. is lovely. How special to know that you worked in that building. There is now an Indian restaurant in the building at the corner that smells delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was delighted you posted it and the history too. I will never forget the kindness of that firm and the incredible training I got - so much so that I implemented a primitive data processing (cards, comptometers) there.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. It is a strange survival diet choice. I think here we would go for bottled water and toilet paper, not that our water ever stops running or gets polluted. As you might expect, I love watching snow clearing trains sending snow spraying into the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old pics on line here of our rail service and the challenge of snow clearing in the wildest parts of the island.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I have never played it without feeling the deep emotion of it Jadie.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. Luckily we get very little snow in Belfast, and when we do it usually melts in a few hours. I would have thought that if there's a storm you'd need something a bit more nutritious than potato chips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Storm chips - how absolutely wonderful. Much more to the point than canned beef, water and TP - here people shop TP and yeast whenver a "disaster warning" is rung ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, stay in the warm eat crisps, perhaps with a good book too??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to have a snowblower exactly like that red one in your pictures. Was so heavy. This year, I got a battery-operated snow shovel. The most wonderful thing ever. Clears beautifully and is so light/easy to use. I am officially old.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.