Friday, June 21, 2024

Serious Hot Stuff


Interview on Churchill Falls evacuation, wild fires. In Labrador.

I started my blog way back in the mists of time writing about this. And here I am twenty years later, still thinking, talking and writing it.

Like a nonsense of an oul granny wittering away about her favourite cat.

I moved to Newfoundland for a few reasons. A primary one was climate change. Newfoundland was deemed one of the safest places in the world in which to live.

If you want to read what Gwyn Dyer says about it, here's the link Gwyn Dyer.

Here's the pertinent paragraph:

What price do you see Newfoundland and Labrador paying with regards to climate change?
Newfoundland pays a smaller price than most places. I’ve talked to a lot of people about this; scientists and so on, and I’d say we’re one of the three or four most favoured places, that now have a significant population in the world, to withstand the ravages of climate change because of global warming. Essentially, the oceans are cooler than the land here. We have an oceanic climate and we’re very far north as these things go. Put those two things together and what you don’t get in Newfoundland is what you do get in most land parts of the planet, which is: the heating over land is much higher than the global average.

My direct observations, having lived here now for twenty odd years:

Summers are hotter, far more humidity, a longer fog season.

Birds are hurting. Many, many more are thrown on our shores by unseasonable storms. Hurricanes have taken out a few towns. Wildfires are rampant today in Labrador with a whole town evacuated. Labrador, reminder, home of the Innuit and igloos and dog teams. Migrations are iffy.

Icebergs are getting bigger and bigger as Greenland melts. Awesome for the tourists, bad for the rising sea levels here and everywhere.

Shorelines are changing, vanishing. I noticed that when I lived around the bay and I'd note the changes in daily walks with my dog along the shore outside my house.

And today, as I fold my winter clothes into storage, I note I never had to do that before. There was only one set of clothes when I moved here. A medium set. Now I wear the summer clothes of yore. Light cotton, head band for the sweat. Air conditioning has become de rigeur here now. None in my building, as it was never built to withstand such excruciating heat and there's talk of expensive retro-fitting.

Lawns were never watered, now they are. BBQs and outdoor bonfires are forbidden across the whole island as of yesterday. Unheard of before. Water levels will lower before too long now. 

Grapes are now growing here and some have managed to grow quinoa. More heat resistant paving is being thrown on the roads.

And, yes. the heat season has expanded and heightened to such an extent that private swimming pools are being installed in many homes.

I just placed a hold in the Library on the book The Heat Will Kill You First


I saw several interviews with the author and maybe it's better to know what's coming and plan the pre-exit strategy.

Thoughts?




14 comments:

  1. Just realizing exactly where you are, I vaguely remembered a time back when more active here you referencing Newfoundland. I watch this YouTube adventurer and some episodes he took his young family on a camping overland exbitition your way. I loved the scenery. Our area doesn't show much change, only tropical disturbances but I can vision what is happening your way. Terrifying and simple so said for land, human and the entire natural presence. If only more would wake up. Back to listening for birdsong, thku for such kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are in the midst of a warm winter at the moment. Yes, it is cool (some would say cold) but we have simply not hard the hard frosts of other years. My childish selfish self mourns no frozen bubbles. The other me mourns on lots of fronts. And yes, we WILL have fires this summer. While our politicians continue to insist that the use of fossil fuels is essential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting everyone's location mixed up, you're not in Newfoundland! I knew that! Winters...my husband leans toward warmer climate, but I'm more an opposite creature. I wonder what your choice of climate says about you? Perhaps I'll look up. Hard frosts so important, hopefully frozen bubbles soon set to the stage.

      Delete
  3. Our winters are warmer and our summers cooler. Not a bad thing, one may think but retreating snow lines, more weather extremes, rising tide lines...it ain't great. Mind, this winter seems so cold to me but I think that is an age thing. Doesn't climate change depress you enough? You want to know more? Cancel the book reservation and feel pleased you will not be alive to see the worst of it. Have you heard of Barbara Cartland? What a mess we are leaving behind, but have faith in the human ability to react. We just aren't so good at prevention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We once had bucolic summers and damn cold winters. That was fifty, sixty years ago. This past week was five days of 100. Tomorrow will be more than ninety, then back to the eighties for a few days. Winters are open, mild. Birds are fewer, insects, too, I guess. But it still looks nice out there, when it's not to hot to go out. Warnings up for dogs, too. "If you will wear a fur coat and go barefoot, too, then your dog will like the walk."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was talking about climate 30 years ago and being laughed at. Nothing has changed except now I try to avoid the subject at all cost. I can't change the planet but I can protect my mental health

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a lot fewer birds around here; less than last year. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wetter summers here, not really hotter in general (unfortunately as I'm some kind of lizard and not really thinking a summer day with temps around 16 is summer). Winters warmer, not much snow, and waaay fewer insects than when I was a child, the fish dying in the oceans - and the oceans themselves dying as well.
    But the politicians in my country are more afraid of antagonizing the farmers ... so nothing will be done - I think this should not be left to the national governments any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have noticed significant changes here in the 50 years i have lived in the Allegheny foothills of West Virginia. We used to stay snow-covered in January and February most years, now we get excited about the smallest snowfall. Flower bulbs that we used to have to dig up can stay in the ground all winter now, and many flowers are blooming 2 weeks to a month earlier. Our first and last frost dates have moved closer together; last year I believe our first killing frost was in December, and last one was in early April. Storms are more violent. Those are just a few things I can think of right off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The weather in Northern Ireland has scarcely changed in the last two decades. Somewhere between 0C and 20C the whole year round. But I think it's a bit windier and a bit wetter. Yes, heat is already killing a lot of people, with temperatures getting as high as 50C. The future looks pretty bleak what with heatwaves, floods, wildfires, droughts and all sorts of uncontrollable freak events. The politicians aren't doing anything like enough to reverse climate breakdown. I hope you aren't lumbered with a huge bill for retro-fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello from a first-time visitor who saw your recent comment on Nickhereandnow about the loss of friends who have died and not having any living close by. It is the same with myself and I am sure with many others if a “similar” age.

    The world is indeed overheating and even here in New England where people tend to think cooler temps, it was in the 90s most of last week. Ironically, we relocated here from a small VA town because the summers there became too hot and humid. Years ago, our native home state of NJ was also hot in summer months. Reading this post about where you live and current restrictions present a dire future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Forgot to ask: I would like to add your blog address to my sidebar which makes it easier for me to revisit and for other bloggers to find different blogs. It's always polite to ask first and hoping you will agree, please let me know by a comment here or on my blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks all for your insights. Go ahead BPB, and add me. I will visit you when things calm down a bit for me.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the reply and I have added you to by "blogs to explore" list. Please do feel free to visit whenever you can, there is no rush and I do hope things will calm down after reading your current post.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.