Saturday, June 01, 2024

Sunday Selections

Joining others in this Sunday Selection mix of photo-dumps.

Elephant's Child

From The Highrise

Drifting through Life

And maybe more!

Well, actually it's late Saturday here.

Here are a few shots from my week here: 


I loved this book and writer and ordered more by him at my local library


Dinner with my daughter at a new Mexican restaurant. A chimichanga.


We have a late spring here and this is outside my apartment building. The Atlantic is between the hills and the lake is just below it. I always love the blues here. I call these pics #40shadesofblue and I have many.


This postcard from family in Ireland made me snort. It doesn't photograph well but features all sorts of attraction at the bottom such as wellness centre, air conditioning, ocean view and organic gardens. As you can see, the place is a wreck. Members of my family scribbled notes on the back and tested out their new pens which you can see seeping through. I love love love postcards and have a large collection.


My coffee grinder is 50 years old and was given to me for my 30th birthday by a dear friend. I have used it just about every day since then. I note it was made in France and may have been one of the first domestic electrical coffee grinders. At the same time my husband gave me a Philips Coffee drip,  the first of those drips as before then it was those percolators we had. That was accidentally dropped by another friend about 25 years ago. I'm sure it would have still been on the go if this hadn't happened. It brings to mind the built in obsolescence of modern machines.

17 comments:

  1. I like the charming 5 star B&B. I must make a reservation immediately before it's booked solid for months.
    Our last coffee grinder only lasted a few years. Built-in obsolescence indeed. Our microwave, bought around 1983, is still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were built to last alright Nick. I may fight you for the reservation, dream place. I did love how they all scribbled on the back of it, testing their new pens.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. Love, love, love those blues. Such a varied colour. And one that I never associate with depression. Built in obscolence? Hiss and spit. It is touch and go these days whether things will last for their warranty period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am on my 3rd can opener since I moved in here EC, 6 years ago. I bought a Cuisinart and it has lasted 2 years now. The others were cheapos and only lasted a couple of years. No wonder we're drowning in our own filth.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. I don't know exactly what a chimichanga is but I love saying the word.
    That's a fine view.
    We would describe the house as a lovely honeymoon cottage.
    Fifty years, with blades and moving parts...quite remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honeymoon indeed, remember to bring rain-gear and wellies.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. Love the blue of the sky, the ocean, the lake. All different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Joanne. It never fails to take my breath away.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. What a spectacular view!
    I have realized lately that I still use a lot of things I've had for years and years--like my stainless steel mixing bowl set, used when I got it at 19. Almost everything I buy is previously owned things still. My gas range in the kitchen is a 1950 model, almost 34 of a century old. It amazes me to realize that I too am almost 3/4 of a century and still in fairly good condition. I wonder if today's newer model humans will hold up as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are indeed fortunate to live this long GS. I wish I could say I'm in good condition though. I haven't kept up with my coffee grinder!
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. A bit more about the book please? Mystery? Romance? Horror?
    Built-in obsolescence makes me swear. I've had many of my things for a very long time and only recently "lost" my blender when I poured in soup that was too hot and the glass jar cracked from top to bottom. I'm hoping to get as many years from my new washing machine as I did from the old one (27 years) but I'll count myself lucky if I get ten years. The worst things in my opinion are light bulbs. They used to last for years! Literally years. So now they are built to fail on purpose so the companies can make money from sales. Ditto toasters I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a reasonably good toaster after many early expiries. A Cuisinart. The book is a multi-generational multi-racial story based in Ireland and London. This man writes poetry in every line. A rare thing. Lyrical almost. And the threads of the story are engrossing.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. 50 shades of lovely blue. I love that colour. Built in obsolescense is so bad in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true both on the blues and on the rubbishing appliances we get.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. I am not sure how old our coffee grinder is, but really old! It still works perfectly, however, and we'll keep using it until it finally expires. Maybe we'll expire first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite positive my grinder will outlive me David!!
      XP
      WWW

      Delete
  9. WWW, I've been having problems with my email lately so I just wanted to check you received mine stating it was fine to use my Gaza post as you wished. My third attempt did not return, but the dreaded mailer daemon swallowed the first two.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.