Saturday, March 26, 2011

Can You Imagine?


Yeah, to get my mind off awful awful awful stuff in the world (another case of bombing one country into democracy and, rah-rah - freedoms, oh puhleese!), radiation ever spanning outwards from godforsaken Japan, another blasted Canadian election due to no confidence in Harper (Bush-lite) and his lackies, oceans so acidic that seals, dolphins and whales are kami-kazing on beaches everywhere, no support, study or funding by the Canadian government on alternative MS treatments (yes, I have a personal interest in that one)and our neighbour down south - I won't even go there as everybody USian is trying to go backwards into 1852 or thereabouts with ROE chipping, Union chipping, LGBT chipping, and GE, their biggest corporation with record profits paying absolutely no taxes whatsoever in 2010, I will speak of pleasant things, uplifting things, non-thinking things.

Get this. I used to sing and act in the day. Pre-emigration to Canada. Pre-marriage, pre-children. Way back. Got that?

And now on April 15th, 2011, there is a reunion of my theatre company. In Cork. A big dinner. With dancing and singing and drinking (for those who do) and tale swapping and OMG-you-haven't-changed-a-bitting. Well, we all must have. Last time we all performed together was in 1966. And quite a few of us are still vertical on this side of the daffodils.

And it was a wonderful time, those four years of intense rehearsals and the world being our oyster and how young we were and full of dreams and talent and greasepaint and flouncy costumes and breathtaking voices and youth, rosy cheeked beautiful gorgeous youth.

I can hardly wait.

21 comments:

  1. Love your Bush like Harper description, agree on USians trying to turn back clock and can't believe GE didn't pay any income taxes in 2010...now that is just wrong.
    I hope you have wonderful time with your old friends in Cork, what fun that is going to be.
    .......:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were very lucky to have that wonderful, warm theatre in which to develop your skills. We used to have to make do with high school gyms where creating the ambience was just a tad more difficult! I would have given my eye tooth to have that stage. (regrettably the dentist took it some time ago!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoy your time with your old friends..as for the rest , totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, they'll have changed a bit after 45 years. Physically, mentally, emotionally. It'll be an interesting experience meeting them all again. I wonder how many will have hung on to that youthful exuberance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dance, sing, be young again, if only for an evening. The rest of the world will stumble on. Love the "vertical this side of the daffodils" remark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bernie:
    And I'm sure if we could dig a bit deeper in Canada we'd find further evidence the corporate rot is everywhere, tentacles into all branches of government.
    Veep:
    We were very lucky we had a visionary who was steadfast in his getting together a professional theatre company and inspired us all to give our very best.
    Twain:
    We are better off not thinking of our sad little planet and what we have done to it. I'm beginning to believe in the doomsayers of 2010.
    Nick:
    Maybe I fool myself but I think I hung on to that youthful zing, I think the fact we are getting together says a whole pile, doesn't it?
    Pauline:
    I have lost too many friends not to be ecstatic every morning when I wake up!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you are going back to Cork for the reunion? How wonderful is that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well bonus Marcia as it turns out - TWO reunions.
    the decision was seamless when I finally made it. I will miss out on a few events but I am planning on a glorious time, several schoolmates plan to stay up all night at the hotel and just TALK. Can hardly wait.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. WWW, you had asked about whether I could load open office on my new netbook. Loaded it yesterday and it works fine. vp

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to hear your stories from the reunion - that's going to be one fun event. Hug from Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh thank you so much Veep, I am going to Staples this week and check the netbook out, unless you picked up the last one. In that case be prepared for a BURGLARY.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Conor:
    I'll be next door to you in a matter of 11 days. Do you ever come Cork way?
    I hope all is well on the extended stay in the Fair Land.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds as though you're going to have a vacation and reunion to long remember, WWW.
    We shall await reports anxiously!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not only did they not pay any taxes, they are claiming a 3.5 million (?) or is it billion? tax credit!

    It's wonderful that you are going to Cork for the reunion. I can't wait to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. T:
    Yes, memories to treasure forever!
    Welcome back from your trip!
    Anne:
    yes the tax credit on top of the biliions in profit, are we living in an insane world or what?
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  16. How long will you be on Irish soil? Any chance of you being in Dublin?

    Enjoy the parties.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds fab! Go for it!

    As for Libya, not your fault. Don't feel bad about it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. GM:
    I blipped you on just that very thing too.
    Email: wisewebwoman AT gmail.com

    Are you in Dub at the mo?

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  19. Laura:
    You betcha!
    But I do feel bad about Libya, who votes these thugs into office?
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  20. We humans are a shameful lot - no doubt about it.
    Have a fantastic time as I am sure you will. The dog will be better because his mom travelled! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope you have a great time reliving good times and memories. I'll be making a flying visit to Ireland myself in June, just for a few days, and I can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.