Friday, March 04, 2011

Yackity Yack


Some bills are really, really good. I look at my telephone bill for last month and I laugh. One of the long distance calls shows:

Toronto......280 minutes.

Who was this person you chatted to for ZOMG - 4 hours and 40 minutes on the telephone?

Did you take a pee break? (no, but I could have if I wanted to)

Did you skip a meal? (yes, I completely forgot to eat)

And in case you think I busted the bank: I get a global rate (I call Ireland frequently) of 5 cents a minute.

I don't particularly like the telephone.

So it makes this length of call both astonishing and hilarious.

And this endless conversation happens with my daughter.

What do we talk about?

Politics, feminism, art projects, writing, teaching, partnerships, entrepreneurship, her beloved daughter, now 16-1/2 - my grandgirl, cooking, growing, ideas, dreams.

She called today, it was another marathon. I only know this when I got off the phone and looked at the clock and realize lunch was skipped. Again.

I think she is one of the most interesting people I have ever met. I've thought that since the day she was born. She has never ceased to fascinate me. Even when she painted our front steps bright blue when she was four. And dug out under our backyard fence and escaped when she was three. And registered herself for swimming classes when she was four (they phoned me as my forged signature was printed in poorly executed CAPS - "MOMY")and showed up four months early for JK school and refused to leave so that the principal called me and I had to physically pry her out of there as she screamed and then put a calendar on her bedroom wall so she could mark the days until she could legitimately be at school. She was already reading and writing at the age of 4. So far ahead of herself she had to skip Grade 4 or she would have died of boredom.

She still has the capacity to surprise me all the time. I learn from her.

I remember the writer Isabel Allende being asked one time about the relationship she had with her mother. She responded that it was the longest love affair of her life.

I could say the same about my daughter.

28 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous relationship, I wish I was that close to my mum but no chance. I love the way she forged your signature so totally ineptly. But full marks for enterprise and initiative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you've fair done me in with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet - you brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Nick:
    It's not perfect by any means, we've had right old barnies and knock down battles and hurt feelings and periodic estrangements. It doesn't impact my love for her though.
    As we grow older though, it seems to get better.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are blessed. My best wishes that this fabulous relationship endures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. More than 4 and a half hours of chat in one sitting...WOW, WWW !!!
    Beautiful tribute !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one I feel that way about. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are very fortunate to be so close to our daughters. Time stops still when I talk to Elly, and like you, I am always amazed at the things she does.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter does sound very interesting....so happy for you.
    ......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the forged signature! She sounds like a marvelous person to spend time with. When parents can see their own children as "fascinating others" (and vice versa) it makes for a genuinely productive and delightful relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful blog. Loved so many parts of it that it's hard to pinpoint just one of them. I have added my name to your followers list also

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like I said Ramana, it had its ups and downs but I take each day as it comes and get so much enjoyment out of her.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. T:
    For a telephone-chat avoider like myself, very surprising indeed!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  14. GM:
    We get them on loan for such a short time that it is all the more wonderful when they befriend us!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bernie:
    Oh she is, community involved, politically aware, into so many positive aspects of engagement, she truly astonishes me!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pauline:
    That forged signature still brings me to chuckles all these years later. She was so impatient with her toddler-dom and wanted to be light years ahead in discovering the world and all its aspects. She's still like that!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gambolian:
    Welcome and thank you for the very kind words!
    I just love 'your' province and feel I was always meant to live here!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think she is pretty amazing as well! Although it's not surprising because interesting women seem to run in your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Why Carly, thank you on behalf of the generations!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  20. How wonderful , an absolute joy to read :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow. like daughter like mother, i'm thinking. your conversations should be tape recorded and saved.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've thought that Laurie, as the hours go by so quickly and I'm left with Reader's Digest version of our lives....
    XO
    WWW
    PS And I remembered to vote for you today!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.