Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Man Called Willy Dineen


The tide is turning as I write, doing that brief wrastling little dance it does, it's magical. I do so hope we don't find creatures on the moon and blow them into democracy too for I would so miss the tides. Along with my inner tide. Apart from female lunar cycles, I often wonder about its powerful bearing on everyone else. We understand so little about the moon.

No, let me call Luna 'her'. The goddess. She who controls so much of the doings on earth. Silently, quietly. I had an ancestor who would get in his wee currach on a night of a full moon and go out into the middle of the harbour and anchor there. He would then proceed to lean on his oars, throw his head back and sing away to her. All through her slow cruise along the navy blue sky. When she dipped below the horizon he would row to shore and go home. Probably to his mammy. For I wondered who would have married him. I think I would have. For what's wrong with a man who sings to the moon?

The odd thing about this relative (I could be wrong but I think his name was Willy Dineen) my father's second cousin, twice removed or something, was that he was shared with my ex-husband's family. So we figured out we were sorta third cousins sharing Singing Willy. A bit of shame attached to Willy and the full moon, for they all thought he was cracked. I didn't. And he only came to light when both our families were sitting down around the table one night untangling the long knitted strings of Irish relationships which spreads like a blanket over the entire 32 counties. And beyond, if you're inclined. A hobby which is fully present and accounted for in Newfoundland also. I could listen for hours to this kind of talk while it uncovers long forgotten marriages, dead babies and cursed families and people buried outside the churchyard in the dead of night. For Willy paid no attention to the church at all and was buried in 'unsanctified' as befitted his pagan leanings.

Ah, there should be a Willy Dineen in everyone's family. To give it a bit of spice. To tell us all we're not as green as we're cabbage-looking. Another fine turn of an Irish phrase you may not have heard before.

If I had stronger arms and could get at a currach, you'd find me out in the bay here of a full moon night, listening to the echo of my voice all around the bay while above me Luna grins her Mona Lisa.

23 comments:

  1. great story...i love the moon and my two year old granddaughter is fascinated with the moon. Willy Dineen sounds like a great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, me dear, yer can certainly tell 'em. It must be that "bit o' the Irish" about yer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful homage to the moon goddess. This sister moon plays a grand role in my life. I have written about the relationship we share in several blog posts. Marduk, the Moon and Me. A February post. AH, she has a grand power.
    As for your cousin Singing WIlly, I would have loved to have someone like him in my family. We would have understood each other.
    This past Sunday, 27 March, my first and only grandchild celebrated his first birthday. I know that he has magic. His dad is Ireland born. Our boy's middle name is Colm for his late grandfather in Ireland. There is great magic and legend in your Irish history, but I am sure you know that. Many secrets in Roan Inish. Have you seen that film? The Secret of Roan Inish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sort of related to my ex husband too. We found out when we went to his family reunion and it was held at my cousin's house. No wonder it didn't work out. I guess I should be happy my children aren't more addled than they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Singing to the moon sounds fine to me. What's wrong with appreciating the beauty of nature? Better than bombing people you've never met.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A man after me own heart - willy dineen, WWW! and any tale of celestial bodies, Moon or otherwise is right up my street, as you know. :-)

    I often think when gazing at a full bright Moon what wonderment the ancients must have experienced when doing the same thing - not knowing what we now know (that man can walk upon that amazing shining globe).

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a free spirit that Willy Dineen was. There are many like him in this fair isle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A gipsy once told me that you ask a waxing moon for what you want in your life, and a waning moon to take away what you don't want.

    Can't say I've noticed any major effects after this experiment, but maybe I gave up too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our pagan ancestors were probably much better in touch with the phases of the moon and their effects on them. We modernized human beings are so removed from them. I know I'm affected by the moon and am a bit of a lunatic myself. I would have gone out in that boat with Willy Dineen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Twain:
    children can teach us so much about the world around us. At some point we disconnect from the really important and profound truths. We desperately need a 2 year old intervention!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. RJA:
    A bit of d'Irish? Me? Sure I don't know where you get yer ideas, sir!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paula:
    Yes I did see the film a couple of times, a story very well told and if my old stories are right, absolutely correct.
    Welcome!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marcia:
    So now we've both nailed what went wrong in our marriages!
    We want to sing at the moon and they didn't!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nick:
    Well said, my friend. We all could do with a bit of the old werewolf!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  15. T:
    Personally, I'd prefer if we'd never walked on it. Truly. Luna should remain a profound and powerful mystery.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  16. GM:
    And often their spirits were squashed or they were 'put away' or even killed. Forced conformity is the killer of so much creative.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laura:
    Oh I love that, I must do it. it reminds me of the prayers to St. Brigid at Women's Christmas in Ireland. The two were probably connected in pagan times.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nora:
    I think the boat would be have overcrowded with all Willy's kindred spirits!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  19. Let me let you in on a secret. I am the Willy Dineen in my family. They say about me that I howl with the wolves and croak with the frogs! That is not as powerful as it sounds in my mother tongue though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just knew that Willy Dineen had a direct relative somewhere in this world.
    Welcome cousin!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just would be so worried about you out in the bay in a currach! Stay on the shore, I would and sing from there!!!!!!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  22. But Maggie!
    Luna would take care of me!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice story, this is my first story on women and their respect, infect people took women as a servant but in my opinion a man would become a successful man if he have a nice women and he also obey her.thanks for taking time to write on women s .keep on writing on women,s topic

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.