Friday, September 16, 2011

Thoughts from the Water

Sailing route from North Sydney, Nova Scotia, to Argentia, Newfoundland, pretty much across the open Atlantic ocean.

Well, here we are. Our sailing time was 4.00pm and it is now 6.30pm. They let us on the boat, The Atlantic Vision, about 30 minutes ago with no sailing time in sight because of Maria. As of noon today, the sailing was still on but I imagine they are cautious now as Maria roars through Newfoundland and incidentally right by where I live. I took the precaution before I left of moving all the lawn and deck furniture in and battening down the winter door at the front of my house. I am glad now. I just hope all the trees will hold.

There are many boats and ferries at anchor in the harbour as I look out my gorgeously huge window. This is not a porthole by any stretch of the imagination. The weather outside is innocent: blue skies, a few white caps on the waves, but not a hint of Maria on this side of the crossing.

No news on when we will be sailing but we have been assured there is a ton of food on board and much to entertain us in the interim. I feel sure there is many a story to be told in this waiting for the crossing.


  1. Didja get a two or four? I found, much to my pleasure on the way over, that a two has a wall mounted TV. You're right about the window - great to be able to look out and see what's going on. The advantage of being onboard is that you can tuck into a real bed and get some real sleep rather than trying to snooze in the car. Safe home!

  2. At least you're aboard and can take it easy, right? I hope that hurricane is quickly gone and that you can safely go home. You must have a longing in you heart for it by now. How is Ansa doing?

  3. Hope you had a peaceful night on the Vision - it's still a wild wicked wind here on the Burin. We escaped any flood damage this time though our tiny brook was full to the brim, and we were holding our breath!
    We'll be back on the rock next June - sounds too far away - but we have other adventures before then. Good luck on your crossing. How does your dog manage on such a long crossing?

  4. Veep:
    A four, there was no choice but as I am not a fan of TV, flat or otherwise no great loss to me :-)
    No sleep too worried about the dog.

    We are still in harbour and it is past 9 in the morning. I am dying to get home!!

    Keep in touch during your sojourn! I had to plead my case with the cabin crew again this a.m. to let me down to Ansa and then get a crew member to walk her on shore as I can't (hard hat and boots not being supplied, etc.). I think she will be good now. Her capacity is 18 hours. The crew have been understanding of this. I don't know why this huge delay as the storm is long passed us.

  5. "Waiting for the crossing"....that sounds like the title of a book you might write one day, WWW!

    I hope Maria calms down rapidly, so's not to delay you too long.
    Maria.....reminds me of that song from (I think)Paint Your Wagon :-)

    Away out here they got a name
    For rain and wind and fire
    The rain is Tess, the fire Joe,
    And they call the wind Maria

  6. I wondered about Ansa as I was writing that note and all the other dogs that people would have with them. It has to be a worry. Glad to know that the crew has been helpful. I know a lot of the Marine Atlantic folks from having lived in that area of CB and they are good people although sometimes handicapped by corporate rules. Many of them would have pets of their own.

    As for the 2 or 4 thing, I originally had a 4 booked since there was nothing else available, but they put me on a waiting list a month or so ahead of the trip and a 2 became available. No big deal - the fact is you had a cabin.

    I watched the news last night and it appeared that while the storm passed by the Avalon fairly quickly, the edges were still beating up the west coast so that may be the reason they delayed the sailing. The Vision can take a lot of rough water but their protocols are very specific. When there's a certain windspeed, they stay in dock. It makes it difficult for people with pets. I guess the one good thing is that you are in dock and not anchored out in the harbour.

    Keep us posted. Safe home.

  7. At least you're well provided for while you're waiting for departure. And it sounds like they're being very sympathetic about Ansa. Hope you're away soon.

  8. So, how are you doing?
    Use the time to tell us more about life with Burt. Now there's a character I'd like to know.

  9. T:
    Well high speed connection again, it is 9.03 NL time and we are about 5-1/2 hours from landing, more than halfway.
    I remember that song, I loved it. I totally understand why they delayed crossing, the sea was very rough. Not that I mind I have terrific sea legs thanks to an old ferryman who would get drunk and put me in charge of the boat when I was 12!
    Yes the waves have been treacherous, it is just getting calmer now. I had a twosie back in the day for the maiden voyage of the AV, the flatscreen was dead. the food has been a fiasco, they 'forgot' to pack a second dinner so we are all a little edgy from appalling overpriced sandwiches (white bread, beef and miracle whip). Not a good image for the luxurious AV.
    Yes, I had very good assistance with Ansa, it looks like she's the only dog aboard, highly unusual.
    Oh I'll be so happy to strike land, you've no idea and funny you should say that about Burt, I wrote his life story this afternoon and will post to blog shortly!!

  10. I'm hoping that by now you are back on dry land. Safe home.

  11. GM:
    4.00 a.m. was when they tumbled us all out onto dry land. Nothing open. Moose rampant on roads. I totally feel sorry for the tourists. What a welcome!
    I am so glad to be back in my piece of heaven, absolutely no plans to leave anytime soon!

  12. That's good, I'm glad to hear it. You stay put now, you hear.


Comments are welcome.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.