Saturday, June 24, 2023

Death and Fair Maidens


I'm second from the right. My oldest friend still with us, took the photo.

I have very few remaining friends in my life from way back when. Those I have are precious with a layer of melancholy spread over us all like a protective shield. My layer, I have no idea how they're feeling.

As many of my readers know, I have no belief in a life everlasting somewhere up in the sky or parts unknown so the finality of death breaks my heart more deeply than those who believe in the pubs and singing and birthday parties continuing in the great beyond. (As an aside though, none of those believers embrace death as the escape route from earthly challenges and pain, am I right?)

Suffice to say I have emails from all three of my surviving circle when I hit the Oul Sod in the late autumn.

One has been a dear friend since we were eleven years old. So yeah, close to seventy years of friendship there. We never lost touch. She has beaten cancer twice.


On a trip to Niagara Falls with Daughter and my "Emigration Liner" friend.

Another is a dear friend now living in New York. I met her when she was twenty and I was twenty three. Where? On the emigration liner pulling out of Cork Harbour in 1967 our heads turning to our new life ahead and then turning back to the tender leaving the ship holding everyone we held dear behind forever. She is flying into Dublin so we can sit and yabber to our heart's content.

Another still is a long time friend I made here, from Dublin originally, who turned tail when her mother died and her father needed her and her husband deserted her and her only choice of safety and comfort was returning "home" as she felt there was no home in Canada anymore.

I believe nurturing friendships of such long standing takes effort. I know so very many who can't create the time and let these trickle through their hands. But how can the connections survive if not given the life breath of a card or an email or a phone call? Often just a stamp and five minutes of one's time is all that is needed. Surely they are worth that? And like I've said before a piece of paper or a card in one's hand is more sustaining than a quick email or message or whatsapp.

It's a joy to meet those who knew me back then, who knew my secrets and our youthful exuberance. Our fearless looking ahead, our love affairs, our hopes and dreams, our music, our humour.

My connections with those of such long duration are drowned in laughter and delight and, yes, poignancy. And gratitude for the unexpected pleasure of being alive.

Still.

24 comments:

  1. I wish I had nurtured those friendships. How I wish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe because I'm an emigrant I took the time, EC, who knows. I've lost a huge amount to death, cancer mainly. I will never get over that. I know life partnerships also can impact old friendships as in again, finding time. I feel very fortunate.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. Every one of my old friends, childhood to early married years, the ones I grew up with, has died, all with some kind of cancer, leaving young husbands and young children. All got the prize catch of husbands at the time (who remarried almost immediately, of course). Why me? I ask? I too smoked; ate things I shouldn't, choked on car exhaust as I still do, but I am here. They were all gone in their 30s. ???? Six young women, beautiful young mothers. Just me. Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eternal puzzle Emma, who survives, who doesn't? My healthier life-style friends have mainly passed. And it is more difficult as we age to nurture new friendships.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. You are in a way very fortunate but then as you say, you have taken the time over decades to maintain such connections. Partly because I am gay I never did. I was different to 'all of them'. I've had a few chances over the years to rekindle but I never have beyond basic politeness. So yes, the fault lies with me and some others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes two to tango to throw out the old trope and like I said to EC maybe it's because I'm an emigrant? Who knows? And yes, being gay can be a challenge. I've lost touch with my gay friends and I had quite a few and I seriously wonder (now) why that is. Some were not on line and I lost track of moves being partially the reason I suppose.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. I believe in ashes to ashes and dust to dust. We turn back into the stuff of the universe, from which we are made. And so when our atoms are merrily circling the universe, they may ping with another atom and remember and old acquaintance before sailing away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stardust Joanne, yes, that is my belief too. I treasure all of this extension I've been offered as I'm sure you do too :D
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. I never had close friends and though I have had good friends wherever we lived at the time, we moved a lot and they were left behind or they moved away first so we lost touch. Trying to keep track when we all had small children and new towns or neighbourhoods to get used to seemed like too much effort. I'm a loner by nature anyway, but I've seen how it affected my kids. Each of them now has at least one friend they connect with almost daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a loner too River but have always relied on close friends rather than partners for deeper more intimate companionship. I can also be weeks on my own and crave more alone time.
      It was strong advice given to me on my wedding day by Granny and Mum. Nurture your women friends as they had.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. You're lucky to have kept those friends for so long. Unfortunately I don't have any old friends from my youth. I had one or two friends at school but they somehow fell by the wayside - probably because I didn't make enough effort to keep in touch, as you suggest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an easy thing to happen Nick, Postcards are also great from trips. One of my happiest memories at Battle Harbour a couple of years ago was all of us sitting at the kitchen table together and sending out maybe a 100 postcards between us all. I love all the postcards I receive every year. Like a warm hug.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. >>Our fearless looking ahead<< Oh, yes. So fearless back then. We could always figure out a solution. It was all going to be just fine, one way are the other. No fears. I need some of that youthful exuberance for the future now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Delaine, I proceed with far too much caution these days. Oh for the reckless old days!
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. I'm a believer and do think death is leaving behind all the pain and woe in this world and that is okay with me! I've always felt a bit loosely connected to earth. But I'm not rushing leaving it.

    Anyway, at age 65 I'm happy to say I'm in touch with a fair number of friends - 1 since age 4 and another 2 from college, and a few since my late 30s. Those who've died so far have been older friends from church any my dear mom. I don't live near any of those friends anymore though, so I think my old age may be a remote contact sort of life with a visit now and then. And I agree, it is more difficult to make friends later in life, having friends who know your history is very comforting. Kim in PA (USA)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, the old friends are the best and I miss my dear ones dreadfully. How we would remind each other of our gifts and achievements and heartbreaks as we trudged along side by side. I have a few left and treasure them so dearly.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. I envy you these friends. We all need what I call life witnesses, people who know what you mean without you having to start over at the beginning every time, people to whom the same things made long lasting impressions and formed who we are. But also I see that you really worked to have this, so yes you deserve it.
    You say: "As an aside though, none of those believers embrace death as the escape route from earthly challenges and pain, am I right?" My answer is, yes, death is an escape route form pains and challenges, but not an escape route you chose yourself. Because yes, I do believe that life goes on after death here in some mysterious way. But I also believe that every day here is a gift, also when that day brings pain, challenges or sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, every day a gift Charlotte and our personal beliefs are respected and honoured. I love the concept of star dust. We come from stars and return to stars.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  10. You must be such a very good friend to have seen so many pass and still have some! I envy the long relationships "drowned in laughter" and wonder if I'm a bad friend or if I just never really found my people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the old friends give us the gift of laughing at ourselves and our lives and taking ourselves far less seriously. And reminding us we never change, not really. I doubt very much you are "a bad friend" Kylie. From what I read of you, you are loyal and kind and compassionate.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  11. That school picture of you with your tree friends took my breath away! I have one almost exactly the same - just different faces! I'm in touch with only one of my group of four. I agree completely that friendship is like a plant - it needs regular attention and 'watering' otherwise it withers away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly! those uniforms!! But I honestly can't praise those nuns enough for the fantastic education they gave us girls. they were so far ahead of their time and unconscious feminists. And friendship takes time and thoughtfulness, very scarce in our years of raising the kids and working a full time job. But we squeezed it in somehow.
      XO
      WWW
      XO
      WWW

      Delete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.