Sunday, June 11, 2023

Pinned in The 'Peg (Part 2)

 See Part 1 here


Park Cafe, Winnipeg.

Thoughts of coffee and a nice rest quickly vanish when faced with a tour of South Winnipeg. We don’t do this for everyone, she says, laughing. Oh, yes we do, he interrupts. And at this point, if I'd had the tiniest glimmer of how many of these interchanges lay ahead of me on this June weekend, I'd have broken the window and flung myself under the nearest tractor trailer.

My attention's now captured by the flattest vista I've ever encountered. The flatness is alleviated somewhat by an oozing eczema of big box stores and multi-national restaurants. I mention Portage and Main, the famous intersection of downtown Winnipeg. Edgar, forgetting he's driving, turns around and informs me I know nothing about Winnipeg if I think it's all about Portage and Main. The Forks are interesting, Eileen offers. No, they’re not, he says. Five minutes of silence. He giggles. You pronounced Portage like a hick he says to me. “Portidge.” I dutifully repeat it after him.

I'm taken to a restaurant in the middle of a park. I stare out the window at lilacs, spring is late in Winnipeg, I remark. I'm quickly told Toronto has spoiled me for early springs. Eileen reaches across the table suddenly and takes both my hands in hers and tells me how she's thrilled I'm here. I'm dumbfounded, look away. I count internally, three hours since landing, another forty-five to get through.

I arrive at the house only to be met by one of those dogs, bum height, whose specialty is rectal probes. Everywhere I go from here on in, I'll wear most of this dog, Dingo. He wants to be your friend, they say.

They're well traveled and the walls are covered with photos of their world trips. It takes two hours for a hundred and fifty frames to be travelogued extensively. I finally whimper I'm tired and need to lie down, just for a half an hour.

The look they exchange would blister paint off a door but at this point I couldn't give a rat’s ass. I escape and unpack the suitcase on the bed (oh god, she wraps on the door tells me she knitted the bed spread in 1983 and it took seventy two balls of Sirdar and she put it on the bed just for me). I've tears in my eyes. My friends wouldn't be safe now, their secrets would spew from my mouth just to get this woman out of my room.

I unpack the case and then realize there is absolutely nowhere to put my clothes. The closet and every single drawer are jammed and every surface has pictures of Dingo. I repack and try not to obsess on the fact there is only a fingertip towel and a small hand towel on the bed. I might, but only if I am miserly in my usage, have one complete limb dry after a shower

13 comments:

  1. It seems you got yourself into this situation by being too nice. Never have a bar of being too nice, as you discovered.

    It is a bit strange that they were so well travelled yet not very interesting to communicate with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The travelogues were a drone of meals eaten, disputes over what exactly, couples they met, disputes over the names, disputes over dates they landed, disputes over trains they caught and where, what sights they weren't interested in, a long disagreeable spiel about the air in Switzerland, the dirt of Venice and how badly they were treated in a disputed city in Australia. You catch the drift.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. Whatever sparked this trip down memory lane, this sounds torturous. Poor you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s times like these our attitudes, expectations and life experiences come into play. Theirs (the other person) and yours - so very different. Not really knowing what to expect of each other.
    I can hear my mother saying - it costs nothing to be polite…..and it’s rude to mock.
    At least you’re alive to tell the tale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did this couple breed your friend Caroline? And did you manage to last the distance? If so, how?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It only gets worse! Too bad there wasn't a firing squad you could call on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote in my journal A LOT when I was there to vent my feelings. They had a son and daughter who rarely visited and had escaped to foreign lands. I was appalled he was a professor which would have involved much inter-personal skills in his field. I don't want to say what it was for fear of breach of his identity. Suffice to say he was one of the nastiest people I have ever encountered at such length and I had enormous compassion for Eileen as she was unskilled and trapped with this monster of a man. I feel that Caroline, my former employee and a wonderful human being, was hoping to yank her mother out of her isolation. Eileen herself was cast out of her Catholic family when she married him as he was of another race and religion and she had converted. To give everyone a bit of a backdrop on the situation she was in.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all sounds pretty ghastly. They imagined they had some great bond with you and simply couldn't grasp they were mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are killing me! I read part 1 and it reminded me of an encounter I had with a blogger. But then, part 2, is why I am now finally old and wise enough not to ever stay with anyone, friend or family!!! I would go into debt to stay by myself. Too many of these excruciating stays in the past. I do hope there is a part 3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is Jackie/ I've had a few iffies myself but NEVER in all my born days have experienced anything like this.
      Though I have to admit when I found the piece I wrote I laughed myself silly at how absolutely unbelievable it all was in hindsight. But not at the time.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
    2. I agree, they can be funny in hindsight. But not at the moment.
      The other problem is the amount of time spent waiting around for other people. AND when it is with Irish relatives the amount of time wasted being fed! I want to go out and explore!
      With friends it is the never-ending where to eat - I am game to try anything but they are "oh, I don't/can't eat that". Then they want to eat at 5 like old people (LOL) and I want to dine fashionably at 8!

      Delete
  9. Ah-ha--there are surviving children! Perhaps they have rescued Mama; perhaps she rescued herself. A good serial. Story, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Already I can see I wouldn't have stayed there, it sounds awful.
    I'd use the dog as an excuse and head for a hotel. You are far stronger than I am!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.