Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Pinned in The 'Peg (Part 4 - final)

See Part 1 here

See Part 2 here

See Part 3 here 



I'm taking them to dinner in their favourite place but we find it closed. She should have called, he says, why didn’t she, everyone calls. They have one of their interminable conversations in the front seat. Her alternative suggestions are squelched quickly. I'm not consulted even though I'll be footing the bill.

Schezuan, he decides, finally. I touch lightly on a few carefully thought out topics over dinner. I say I like the excellent tempura pickerel. Who said it was tempura? He turns on me, he didn't know what it was but it wasn't tempura. I ask the server, wondering why on earth I'm bothering. She's surprised I ask, “tempura pickerel,” she responds. Ah, he says darkly, they don't know tempura! The last part of the meal is rushed, there's another sports event waiting for him at home.

I sit in the kitchen with her and knit while watching an episode of "Foyle’s War" on one of the six televisions scattered throughout the house. From the den, he regularly calls out orders for tea, water, let Dingo out or in, all of which she obeys without question. When he comes out to the kitchen for yogurt (he announces she'd bring him the wrong one) he turns off the TV as he walks by. She turns it back on without comment or surprise once he leaves the kitchen. She stacks up more albums of knitting patterns for later enjoyment. I bail abruptly. He emerges from the den and tells her she's not coming to the airport in the morning as he's going directly to the gym afterwards. She's crestfallen, close to tears; I make my escape to my room, complete with dog butt.

Drifts of eternal one-sided arguments reach my ears from downstairs as I pull the covers over my head. No, no, no, that was 1951 not 1949, how could she be so mixed up?

I wonder if I'm permanently brain-damaged.

In the morning, I sit beside him as he drives to the airport.

You don’t say very much, he remarks, are you always this quiet? It’s not a good way of getting on in the world.

I look at him, take a deep breath. Measure my words.

You’d never be interested in what I have to say, I say slowly, thinking how insulting my words are.

Without missing a beat, he responds, delighted: Correct! He nods his head as we pull into the sidewalk below the departures sign at the airport, you women have nothing interesting to say!

I get out of the car, haul my suitcase from the back seat and slam the car door without another word.

I cry with relief as I board the plane.

Unbelievably, I hear from them a few more times via email telling me they are visiting Toronto and would love to see me.

I never respond and block him on his request to befriend me on Facebook.

They walk among us.

With no warning signs.




9 comments:

  1. I hope you've gotten better at avoiding them since this ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have felt WONDERFUL to be home again. I suspect I would have wept on the plane too. Tears of relief - and regret for wasted days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, wonderful to have this as record of what you did then. Was it sad for you to read it again? I get emotional thinking back sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had a laugh Chris, I wrote it originally when I was there and afterwards so it brought it all back. I never did see them again, never answered their emails and FB requests and sadly, I have lost touch with Caroline too, she lives in the UK. that was probably for the best.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. At least you had a laugh reliving the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "You women have nothing interesting to say". I'm picturing God on his Observation Deck asking Peter to be sure the trapdoor to Hell is working and the chute below is sufficiently greased up for speedy delivery.
    I'm so glad you survived this without blowing up at the pair of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, obviously another man who's a total arsehole and doing his wife no good whatever. She should have left him years ago. Poor you, having to endure all this bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH. MY. GAWD.
    You were a saint.
    What odious people.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.