Monday, June 12, 2023

Pinned in the 'Peg (Part 3)

See Part 1 here

See Part 2 here

See my comments on Part 2 for further background on the main players and more details if you wish.


Red River, Winnipeg, Manitoba. Canada.

Dinner is served under the harsh unforgiving glare of the chandelier. They're busy discussing 1992 and who showed up for dinner at his sister’s place in Calcutta. Her brother-in-law looked like the Dalai Lama. No, he didn't, it was the doctor who looked like the Dalai Lama. Eileen never, ever responds to these clever conversational gambits. She merely shifts gears. His sister had that lovely yellow sari on. No, of course she didn't - she was still in mourning!

After dinner, Eileen takes me to the den and we squash together tightly on a love seat due to the absence of other seating. The many albums of knitting patterns she's been collecting for fifty years are produced - each page has a story: when she made it, what yarn she used, whether the beneficiary liked it, if she had to rip it and re-do it. That lunch in Toronto has shown me in floodlit clarity that she's not joking. This is her life. I can't interrupt. She's simply not interested. At eleven I yawn and yawn and at one I finally bail, ignoring the hurt expression on her face as she lovingly touches the patterns in album 45. The meal itself was unmemorable, a mishmash of unidentifiable stew with mushy vegetables. Though, of course, I murmured delicious when I got a word in edgewise.

I'm up at nine, plotting like an engineer as to how I can shower, dry my hair and climb into some crumpled clothes without swimming in a pool of water all day. My teeshirt-nightie does the trick and I hang it on the curtain rod to dry out.

Eileen prides herself on her ability to make cappuccinos, but does not believe in using espresso coffee beans for this, she finds a light blend works really well. If I don't look at this cupful of pale mud, I will ingest it without convulsions. Real coffee is now but a dim memory. Twenty-four more hours to go.

I'm again crouched in the back seat of the car as I'm taken on another tour - the North Side of Winnipeg. There are no distinguishing features between the north, south, east and west for the ignorant tourist, but many for the host and hostess. Each building is disagreed about. Watkins Pharmacy used to be there. No, wrong! He responds gleefully, Brown’s Furniture! The Red River flood took out a few houses here. No, no, no, that was over at Norbert. They renovated the hospital last year. No, not a renovation, that was strictly cosmetics. Silence. A lot of sky here, I murmur. Well, not a lot, he rejoins irritably, I've seen more elsewhere. I subside, swallowing the whimpers that rise unbidden to my throat.

Over brunch, which is in a lovely spot out of town, he starts in on my decision to move to Newfoundland. He's never known anyone to stick it for long, he snorts his disapproval. A half a million do, I say mildly. They’re stuck with it, no choice, he says triumphantly.

Surprisingly, he's addicted to sports on television so all excursions are calibrated to the broadcasts of sports events from around the world. We race back from brunch and he encases himself in the den and Eileen and I sit and knit in the living room, the dog protruding out of my hind quarters. They were right, they said I'd get used to it.


12 comments:

  1. "imitation" cappucinos, how dreadful! I wonder how many other visitors have suffered through a vist with them. I bet you were so glad to eventually get home you would kiss the ground if you could get down that low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaargh. Even in hindsight it must be a painful memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Madam, your application for the position as CEO of Tourism Winnipeg had been bet set aside. Future applications will be futile. Thank you for your interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one, Andrew! I will have to remember this!

      Delete
    2. Damn, Andrew! you've explained why I didn't get the position now.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. Good grief. I am so sorry you got stuck in such a situation with no exit strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if Eileen and the prof grew more mellow in their later years, or if they continued as thickheads even to the grave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was measuring myself against all of this. I suspect I could be guilty of a great many hosting sins because we all do things differently but I would not, could not, keep you up until 1am looking at knitting books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the business of hosting for many years Kylie. If I tell you the guy was a professor in a humanity related faculty you probably would fall over.
      His daughter was wonderful as an employee and became a friend. Her mother must have had a huge influence on her. Her parents never spoke of her to me even though she had paid for my ticket. Very odd.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. Good grief, it gets worse. Did she not detect the slightest sign that you might not want to hear at excruciating length about knitting patterns?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.