Monday, September 01, 2008

Alone, again.



Near Twillingate Lighthouse, August 2008


As the house empties of footsteps running hither and yon, the newspaper sections are no longer shared, the daily Word Jumble becomes a solitary exercise, the Soduko remains blank, the knitting unadmired and untaught, the books stiff in their jackets and not passed along the line, and the dog unfrolicked with her dog-niece, I mourn the passing of the seasons, the passing of my life.

Life is all about change, though, I remind myself. I treasure my moment bowl more and more. I have the time to do that. I rejoice in its diamonds and mourn its stones.

If you believe as I do, that this is it, this brief, intense dance on the earth, then it becomes more poignant when our loved ones leave, briefly or forever.

My beloveds left today. To resume their lives in Toronto. We danced together yesterday at an afternoon tea dance by the ocean. To a mixture of live old time rock ‘n roll and Irish music.

Memo to self: I must dance. A lot more.

6 comments:

  1. Whenever I have been alone in life (a great deal when I think about it), I derive great confort from the words of the late, great, writer Quentin Crisp.

    'There is no such thing as loneliness, merely people who do not know how to spend their time alone.'

    It always helps. For a bit.

    Mind you he also said 'Never turn down an invitation', so I guess even he had his moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great mixed messages from QC, Laura!
    I do love my time alone but also love the family around but it seems that lately I feel my singledom a little more than normally!
    This too shall pass!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Parting is such sweet sorrow" -
    I can't remember who said or wrote it, and am too lazy today to research - but it's so true.

    You can take solace, WWW, in your blogfriends - we shall not leave (unless through dire necessity or internet breakdowns). We shall always appreciate your beautiful words and wisdom, while telegraphing hugs through cyber space. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you,T, what a lovely sentiment!
    I believe it was Shakespeare, n'est pas? Hamlet?
    I'm also too lazy to web search.
    I'm forcing myself to stay busy, just did a line full of laundry.
    I need to get at paying work, though.
    Soon.
    Thanks for the hugs ;^)
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Quentin Crisp is right. Loneliness quite often just means boredom. Kids can play for hours on their own without feeling at all lonely because they're totally engrossed in something. But we adults tend to think that if we get engrossed for too long, we must be neglecting something important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick:
    Odd - this perception of what I wrote in the post.
    Not once did I mention being lonely. Just sad (mourning).
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.