Thursday, September 11, 2008

Simple Things


The longer I live, the more I realize that it is the small things that give me the greatest joy. Is that the secret to happiness, I wonder?

My meditation of yesterday (which gets emailed by The Universe every day!) put it quite simply:




For those who ponder and wonder and wrestle with the idea of what it is they really want, I have an answer that each would wholeheartedly agree with: "HAPPINESS."
And for those who ponder and wonder and wrestle with exactly what will bring them true happiness, I have an answer that each would wholeheartedly disagree with: "Just do something, do anything, as soon as possible, and do it with care."
And I'd add, "Trust me."


And co-incidentally, I had been surprised the day before when I had a taken a few hours away from some corporate tax files. I had baked some cranberry/walnut/orange-zest scones (with care!) and recognised that the sense of satisfaction I had felt on seeing them on the cooling rack in all their fat glory far exceeded the accounting triumph of the morning.

This morning I look out over the bay and watch a variety of birds dive-bomb their lunches in the water. It is a ‘denim day’ as I term them - the piercing blues of the sky and the ocean having that clarity that catches in the throat. And it makes me glad to be a witness.

There is work here that needs attention and I’d rather be writing an article, or knitting an afghan. But I am committed to doing the work. With the same care I afforded the scones.

I had a call yesterday from someone who wants me to teach a little course on upgrading computer skills. They can only afford to pay me a minuscule hourly rate but I was inordinately pleased at being asked and of course I will accept.

A dear friend sent me a CD that has given me so much joy in the last few weeks as I play and replay this delightful fusion of jazz and blues with the unlikely duo of Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis, Two Men with the Blues:

Simple things. Happiness. Why look elsewhere?

10 comments:

  1. I envy you your denim days, WWW.
    Wonderful description! Today ours is more your grey flannel kind of day. :-)

    "Do something" is such good advice.
    I've just been drafting a weekend post, which served to take my mind off a mild attack of the blues.
    I haven't baked anything for a long, long time - but I can recall the smell, and that alone is a pleasure. Blogging doesn't smell as delicious, but it serves its purpose.

    That CD sounds to be just the thing the husband would really appreciate. Me too, I've always like Willie Nelson.
    Amazon is currently out of stock, but I'll keep an eye on their site next week for notification of re-stocking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, happiness so often comes from the small things. Like a favourite food or a flower with an amazing scent or an affectionate cat. The big things like cars and houses and holidays can easily disappoint because of the overblown expectations we have of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. T:
    It's a fabulous CD and this is coming from no fan of Willie Nelson, but a huge fan of Wynton. Willie is amazing on it.
    It's funny how we get so removed from the little pleasures!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. How true, Nick, the big stuff oftens sets up huge expectations, whereas the little surprises can delight us no end!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. This morning I found an invoice that had been missing for so long I was starting to duck under the windowsill whenever I saw the accounts lady walking across the quad.

    But the invoice pixies came through for me - it was a magical moment. What I really don't understand is how it cropped up in a place I had already searched at least twice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why indeed would you. Hapiness is walking the dog first thing in the morning and breathing in the fresh air and watching the day start and having lots of courage. Sometimes it is as simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got the CD from our local store yesterday afternoon, WWW. Looking forward to listening later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura:
    Oh those little fairies, they keep reminding us of their existence!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. T:
    I will be keen to hear your opinion!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.