Thursday, September 25, 2008

It takes a village....

The village of Kivalina in the Northwest Arctic - drowning, eroding and storm-demolished - to take on the oil giants and their denial of global warming.

This village has been severely impacted by the:

Sea ice forms and attaches to the coast later in the year, breaks up earlier and is less extensive and thinner, exposing the village to storm waves and surges, according to the lawsuit.


So their lawsuit is launched against the following:

In addition to Exxon, BP and Conoco, the Kivalina lawsuit names Chevron Corp., Shell Oil Co., Peabody Energy Corp., AES Corp., American Electric Power Co., DTE Energy Co., Duke Energy Corp., Dynegy Holdings Inc., Edison International, MidAmerican Energy Holdings Co., Mirant Corp., NRG Energy, Pinnacle West Capital Corp., Reliant Energy Inc., Southern Co., Xcel Energy Inc. and a few other affiliated companies


It will cost Kevalina an estimate of $400 million to relocate.

Read more about it here

PS

Thank you Irene for a most awesome award:

8 comments:

  1. I fear the only winners of this one will be the lawyers. I wish the Inuits all the luck in the world. They'll need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad, WWW. And what happens in Kevalina now may happen to parts of the USA (in different ways) in the not too distant future. What then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @RJA:
    At least they're doing something, anything and I congratulate them for that even while the spoils of Valdez still nauseate us.
    @T:
    Yes, the devastation of Katrina lingers along with Galveston now, who knows where it will stop.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, this makes me so sad. I was watching a programme about how the oil companies had devastated and pollute parts of the oil rich Amazon. It's heart rending. I wish I knew what else to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi WWW, I have an award waiting for you over at my place. Sorry to do this to you, but I am compelled to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @H:
    I think awareness of it all helps, in however small a way. And we are all responsible, whether invested in the oil companies or using their products (I'm thinking particularly of plastic which I have completely removed from my life). Butterfly wings.;^)
    @Irene:
    I can hardly wait!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. How brave and enterprising of them to take on so many of the business giants. But I guess their bitterness and sadness at the damage to their village is spurring them on. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, they haven't a hope in hell, Nick (think Valdez) but they are so courageous just for trying and getting the publicity too.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.