Thursday, September 18, 2008

Canine Gratitude


As an antidote to dead-animals-as-trophies in my previous post, I present to you a particularly valuable lesson I have learned on a daily basis from my dog, Ansa.

Once I’m awake, Ansa starts her day with a huge stretch on my bed. I've learned how to do the same.

I say: Good morning, Ansa, and she then comes up and lays her head on the pillow next to me and allows me to pet her. I then allow her to lick my hand.

After I take her outside she heads off to a corner of the dining room while I make the all-important coffee in the all-important Krups as she supervises. I start the toast. I fetch her dishes and fill with water and her particular mix of food. Ansa was a rescue dog and wasn’t used to dog food so it was a very slow introduction of various kinds until the mixture is now one she eats.

I put down her dishes. She saunters over to them. I start cooking the eggs or the cereal. She leaves her dishes after a small sniff and comes over to me.

I say: You’re welcome, Ansa.

If there isn’t the right degree of joy in my voice, she comes back again, still without touching her food.

I say: You’re so welcome, Ansa. So, so welcome.

She trots off with a grin, an extra wag of the tail. I stop what I’m doing. I reflect on all the things in life I have to be thankful for. My health, my view of the ocean, my lovely peaceful home, the food in the larder, the roses outside the door.

Thank you! I say to the universe.

The trees rustle. The waves scrish on the shore. The bluebird hops along the deck. The sun peeks from behind a cloud.

All is so, so right in my tiny corner of the world.

15 comments:

  1. Good to know Ansa clearly gets plenty of TLC! She's a very lucky dog. And your tiny corner of the world sounds wonderfully peaceful and soothing. The perfect place to put Wall Street chaos into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dogs keep us grounded. i do believe that.

    a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meanwhile, Sarah Palin is out slaughtering herself another Grizzly. Perhaps, if she ever becomes president (proof, if ever it were needed, that there is no God!) maybe she'll have a few Iraqis stuffed and mounted in the White House living room.

    I'm glad you have such a faithful companion as Ansa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah! I'm going to cover my living room walls with stuffed and mounted short-sellers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick:
    the only trouble is WS can wreck it for the rest of us.
    I love the idea of stuffed and mounted - maybe you could include the obscenely over-compensated CEOs?
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Laurie, yes they really do.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. RJA:
    Let's hope she never does. I shudder to think where her policies would put us.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Note to self - rescue dog immediately.

    xxx

    Pants

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's why I think that in the end, I won't be able to live without a dog, darn it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your corner of the world sounds like mine, contented and in perspective.

    I smiled when I read about your morning routine with Ansa. Lovely name, how did you come by it?

    Sorry I haven't visited for a while. It's always such a treat to read your refreshing blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. H:
    "Ansa" means "divine" in Irish. The name came to me in a dream just before Ansa arrived so unexpectedly into my life.
    Thanks for the kinds words!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.