Thursday, August 12, 2021

Another fine mess you've got us into, Stanley........


The new suburb then.

The smallest of reflections on how we got here (see previous post).

As a child, I lived in one of the first suburban areas of Cork City, the site of a small village where surrounding farms were being sold off and the suburban phenomenon of tract housing was levelling and concreting the landscape. 

We were new to the development and arrived from a small town in East Cork where we were surrounded by relatives and community activities.

Here the landscape was strange though for a little while, we were still surrounded by lowing cattle and harvesting of crops but knew nobody.

We had no car and no phone. Our house had a fireplace in every room and a tiny gas stove in the kitchen along with a small coal stove which heated the water. Out back there was a coal/turf shed. All those fires had to be lit sparingly in winter to keep us warm. But it was the lap of luxury for my mother as we had left a third floor cold water flat in the small town.

There was no washing machine or dryer. My mother had to wash everything by hand. There was no fridge. There was a "cold safe" out back behind the coal shed which kept meat and vegetables "cool" with a mesh door. My father, a government employee, grew our winter stock of vegetables in the large fertile (a former farm section) back garden.  My granny would get on a bus from her small village holding and often bring us chickens and the blessing of a turkey at Christmas, which would be hung in the cold safe. We would have to pluck them and save the feathers for cushion fillings.

Mum made most of our clothes and "cut down" my father's old trousers for my four brothers and made my dresses. She knitted our hats and sweaters and gloves. Hand me downs were part of our existence. There was no shower and the bar of soap was used for hair and skin in our weekly baths. Toothpaste was in a tin which seemed to last forever. It seemed to me, looking back, that we shared one toothbrush which was only replaced when there were hardly any bristles left. Combs and brushes were communal. Shoes were repaired. Clothes were darned.

The village had everything we needed, a butcher shop, a small grocery shop, a post office and a pub. And milk was delivered first thing in the morning and the fresh bread was delivered in the late afternoon. The post was delivered morning and evening. There was no garbage. None. No plastic bags. Paper was used to wrap school books, or fire starting. Baskets and cloth bags for daily grocery shopping down the road. We had a compost heap for kitchen waste.

Excursions to town were on the bus and were rare. Usually to get us new shoes or in later years school uniforms. Our best clothes were for church and our wardrobe holdings were slim. My mother wore a shop coat over her clothes to protect them  as she did her chores in the kitchen.

My father cycled to work, about two miles into the city. The money saved on transit was put towards our annual holidays on an island off the coast of West Cork which was completely primitive and had us shoeless for the summer running all over the place with no supervision and swimming all day. It was life changing in so many ways and fostered in all of us children a deep, compelling love of the ocean and for self-entertainment.

All this to say, life was way simpler then. A movie was a treat. Radio was entertainment at night. There was no television. Library visits were Saturdays. I remember hauling out 10 books for the week. 

Consumerism and retail therapy were unheard of. 

Television and its commercials changed much of that. Our first one was installed like a god in the dining room in the early sixties. Our minds were filled with the American lifestyles shown on this magic box. The endless closets filled with clothes, the fabulous kitchens, the huge living rooms! The cars! Shampoo!

We all looked around and saw how shabby we were, how impoverished, how lacking in the luxuries. 

We wanted more. 

And by gum, we were going to get our share of it. Or more. And we did.

Ant thus we lived happily ever after, amen.


The suburb now.

 

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think it is only in looking back we see it as such Summer. Until we discovered mass media and a pipeline to all the stuff we didn't know we were lacking. And the concept of more and better.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. People did not know what they were missing. There would have been a strong disconnect between what they saw on the big screen, but then as television and showed 'normal' American houses and families, there must have been a slow dawning of the differences. Here, I never knew anyone who lived in a flat until I was in my mid teens when my mother's cousin moved into a flat on her own. There was something that seemed a bit immoral about living in a flat. All very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flats were very reasonable in Ireland. A coldwater flat was my first marital home in Dublin too. I wasn't very happy there and escaped to Cork every weekend.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. My America was relatively the same as your Cork. My mother plucked chickens, our clothes were home made or hand me downs. It was TV that changed our understanding of how the "rest" of our country lived. That was our blast off into "life". Into the race to catch up and keep up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it certainly set up the desire for "better" and "more". Rampant capitalism ensued.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. I remember a similar simple childhood, the hand me downs, the communal comb although we did have our own toothbrushes, post delivered twice a day and once on Saturday mornings. A compost heap under the almond tree and a 44 gallon drum with a lid that was used as an incinerator. Newspapers torn up for toilet paper, with plenty of them also saved for starting the kitchen fire. We never had annual holidays away from home though. Dad still had to work and I'd go back to school after each summer and listen to the other kids stories of places like Port Lincoln and staying in caravans etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad only came down for part of the time on our "escape" which suited us fine. He favoured discipline too much.

      Yes we had newspaper for toilet paper also. Nothing was ever wasted!

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. My childhood was a bit later, after the race had begun. But I still fondly remember endless summer days spent swimmming, playing and reading. I don't think my children will ever think back on days like those, and this makes me sad deep inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hauled my children off to that lovely island to experience what I had as a child. I felt it was important. We all love the ocean and seascapes.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. The arrival of TV into irish life; I remember it well.
    We could pick up welsh television from Dublin so we were soon able to sing the welsh national anthem, phonetically, in welsh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a lovely memory Anne. I remember the Kennedys of Castle Ross on the radio. And I think it was "Father Knows Best" on RTE. the parents there were like inhabitants of another planet.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. How drastically the world has changed in so short a time. I think we were all happier with less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't know what we were missing Molly until the TV told us. I remember pleasures being so tiny. Icecream! A shilling from an aunt!

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. You and I are about the same age and many things that you mention here resonate with me as we too lived more or less like that. I have two friends from my childhood still in touch with me and very often we reminisce about the the good old days but, come back to earth usually with a bang with news of some new problem solved by modern technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't call them good old days, Ramana, just more reflective on what contented us then until we were driven to acquire more. I knew I wanted a better life but I didn't know what that entailed apart from reaching a personal satisfaction and fulfilment outside of so-called "womanly" restrictions.

      I guess I could write more on that.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
    2. I wonder, have you sent any of your writings to the museum in Cork? I bet they would be glad to have them from someone who came from there. You could have your own "wing".

      Delete
  9. My childhood was pretty basic as well, similar to your own. We were happy with very little until as you say consumer society took off and everyone had higher and higher expectations. Which are likely to be the end of us all as we deplete the world's resources at a faster and faster rate. And of course wreck the climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say it's pretty depleted now Nick, the world has never been in worse shape and with mutating Covid and so many cases, it's really hard to predict when it will all end. We've had a boiling hot humid summer and we're not equipped for that.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, your childhood days were simpler and probably healthier, less caught up in consumerism. But, time marches on, and it is nice to have modern amenities, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe our modern life styles are depleting the finite resources on the planet at a galloping rate.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  12. I really appreciated reading this recap of your early life. My mother grew up on a modestly prosperous farm here in the U.S. with a self-sufficient life much as you describe. As with so much evolution of life there are positives and negatives. Even in my young life, I had only two pairs of shoes -- my everyday shoes and my good shoes for church and special occasions. The latter eventually became my everyday shoes before I outgrew them and we purchased new oxfords for me -- no tennis shoes when they became popular, because they caused excessive foot sweating from the rubber soles, I was told.

    I've been sickened by the increased consumerism, celebrity-worship and the failures of many in our government to act in our nation's best interests for ordinary citizens with meaningful effective legislation. Perhaps most destructive has been the imbalances in our economic system with the decline of the middle class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sincerely hoping Joared that our just called September federal election is going to be about the UN report and some heavy decisions on how we can correct this fatal path our country is on. I am hoping as I said. Fingers crossed.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  13. Consumerism will be the death of this planet and entitlement has spawned the current political climate which in the age of COVID is killing people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on the consumerism and the more more and more philosophy that drives the greed. The wealth at the top of the pile is staggering. And the poor and middleclass are getting more impoverished.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  14. To think how different your life was as a child, and that is not very long ago. Within living memory. Parts were better and parts were worse. I think of my childhood and how no one locked their doors or locked their bicycles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you think it's human nature to be nostalgic for the times you grew up in, whenever they might be? I think each generation looks back on the relative simplicity of their youth with some fondness.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.