Thursday, October 13, 2022

Virgins


Three ages of a woman by Gustave Klimt

Deep thoughts.

The concept of Eve started it all I suppose. This evil, tempting woman. Without her, man would have been pure and sacred and without blemish, wot?

All religions, the Abrahamic ones anyway, have this feature of the Fall of Paradise on earth, thanks to this harridan Eve.

Therefore all women need to be tamed, kept in their place, made lesser in major world religions. Virgins, of course, are special, see Mother of God, the virgin Mary, who gave birth without sin. Tempting men is our main hobby. But kept in our place, men will maintain their god-given purity.

Note the sin. Note the contradictions, giving birth is sinful, but abortion is sinful too. Which is the more grievous sin? Take your pic.

The story of Maria Goretti was drilled into me as a pubescent innocent. Her twenty year old cousin tried to rape her, she was eleven years old. She died, her virginity intact, raised to glory by Il Papa of the day for defending her purity. So lesson learned. I had to look up the word rape then. And she died forgiving him, wanting to spend eternity with him in heaven. She was stabbed multiple times by him. He was jailed, repented, and became a monk eventually. But, you know, once a paedophile always a paedophile, so what access did he have to children as a priest, h'm? and knowing the history of the largest paedo organization the world has ever seen, he'd fit right in.

And then there was the nun, Marie Clementine, also beatified, twenty three, who died saving her virginity.

And it's all about virginity isn't it? See the pattern? All these non-virgins slaughtered and martyred every day and not a peep out of the churches. The old adage of Madonnas and Whores come to mind.

And what about the 72 virgins in heaven promised to Muslims if they die for the glory of Allah? A rape festival? Would Marie Goretti and Marie Clementine et al be victims of these Allah worshippers?

The virginity of men is never celebrated of course. Losing their virginity is considered a rite of passage.

Women in my time never talked about losing theirs. Now they do, I suspect. It was considered shameful, one was now soiled goods.

My mother would not allow me to insert a tampon as "I could lose my virginity" and no respectable man would want me. I am sure it was the same in other cultures.

And of course in Ireland, girls and women were locked up as life-long slaves in hellish laundries for the mere act of flirting with an innocent male. This practice ceased in the nineties. The nineties! Worth reading about in the link if you were not aware of it.

You may no longer wonder now why I am a feminist of long standing.


27 comments:

  1. Snap. I grew up largely without religion (for which I am thankful). Just the same the concept of the woman as leading the man on was always there. The obviously weak willed man - who still had (and has) the power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not weak willed, EC but very strong and manly and pure until the woman lured him in like a spider, with her hair, her batting eyes or just by being female. I give you Iran et al. No sin in the world only for women. We'll forget about the unprovoked wars for now.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. "they sent me to the laundries
    for the way men looked at me"

    Yeah, women have put up with too much shit for too god damn long. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew some of these girls, some merely flirted, some raped and impregnated by a family member. Some babies and mothers tossed into the dirt, no marker, erased like so much rubbish. they are still finding hundreds of such burials. No value placed on females. I give you Ireland, India, First Nations women still being murdered without criminal prosecutions in so many cases.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. -The Magdalene Laundries, by Joni Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't play it ever without crying. I see the faces. We had to entertain them. And were told to watch our step. Never talk to them.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. So much we dumb women did not know or understand until a light came one one day and we thought "yes, of course!, why didn't I get that reference; why didn't I see/understand what was being told me." So many of us grew to unacceptable ages before we understood, and then could only rage against the injustice of what we read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did question a lot Joanne, but was particularly afraid of my father's rages for my daring. My mother raged to me, particularly about the priests, though she still believed. It took me a long time to completely wake up to the injustice and second class status of the women in the world.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. Religion, which has done so much more wrong than right, is the curse of the earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally evil River. And they get away with it. I am still appalled at some of my female friends condoning it by contributing to it. And often wonder if their children were abused and raped by clergy would they continue to throw money in the golden coffers?
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. I never wondered. I simply accepted that you are one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your first clue Ramana? (Joke).
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
    2. Some comments made in my blog in response to some posts.

      Delete
  7. I don't understand how any woman could NOT be a feminist, given the endless indignities and humiliations that women are expected to put up with. The double standard on virginity is just a typical example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You only have to look at the US Nick to see how far we've travelled backwards. And many women in government support Roe v Wade.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. Being overturned that it is. Fingers too fast some days. :)
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. It isn't just about feminism. It's about human decency and right from wrong. If you believe in sexual equality, don't be saying 'I'm not a feminist but...'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes the broader picture too Andrew but women have been second class for millennia and subjected to cruel stringency and made scapegoats for the depredations of men. We need to fix this, starting with economic independence for the less privileged countries and even the privileged ones. Educate the girls and free birth control.
      XO
      WWW
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  10. The behaviours that have been allowed and condoned in churches are shocking and what bothers me the most is that while the church should be leading in efforts to treat all people equitably, they fight against equity harder than anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping women in their places seems to be the prime purpose of their businesses - breeding for the future generations to fund their mega corporations continuously. A total lack of respect for the autonomy of women.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  11. Woman have been overlooked down the years in subtle ways.
    I understand that when water schemes and rural electrification were being developed in rural Ireland the water and power was often brought as far as the cow byre but not as far as the house until it was pointed out that the women running the house might benefit from water and electricity too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The invisibility of women and their uncompensated labour has been of long standing indeed Anne. If GDPs were adjusted to reflect all this free labour - child care, elder care, housekeeping, chauffering, etc. it would reflect a completely different picture.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  12. "Have you read Are You Somebody" a memoir by Nuala O'Faolain? I'd guess she'd have been about your age. I'm sure you'd recognize the Ireland she grew up in as being the same one you knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read all of Nuala's output and listened to podcasts of hers Molly. She died far too soon and her last interview with Marian Finucane had me in tears. I coild relate so well to her.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
    2. This reminds me what a luddite I am! It never occurred to me to look for podcasts but today, thanks to your reply to my comment I've binged all day listening to Nuala, and like you her interview with Marian Finucane had me in tears. What an amazing, courageous woman she was. I read my Dream of you last year and loved it. Now, when I finish Are You Somebody I'm going to read all her others! Thanks for the nudge!

      Delete
  13. How incredibly well written, and sadly all too true. As a man it's hard not to feel a sense of shame, but I also wish to say - a pox on all religions - the harm they have done over the history of mankind is incalculable. And it continues to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely David. Iran just being a tip of the iceberg at the moment. A pox on them all I say, they are so harmful to women and their autonomy.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.