Wednesday, August 05, 2026

Remiss

So many rabbit holes I went down lately. And had to forego some pleasure (aka this blog) and explore other avenues of creative expression.

I went back to major "big piece creation" in knitting. I started a throw for my godson and his wife. A belated wedding gift. 

I had to make a tough decision about my friend here with Alzheimers/ Dementia. I don't know about other elders out there, but I find I can't tolerate too much stress in my life anymore. And keeping track of her or making arrangements with her were proving to be increasingly challenging. It's a dreadful disease, and I lived beside it a few times, most notably with one of my closest friends, Lana. Written about here.

With Susan (pseudonym) her dementia is different, often hostile, oblivious and defensive about her condition. I tell her I'll text her rather than phone, as she remembers texts better. "Ouch, not true," she says, "I just delete texts!"  Well......I spoke to another friend about the decision to detach and the frisson of guilt I was feeling when she reminded me that Susan would forget about me very quickly. And that is true. I haven't responded to her calls or her texts in the last few days. 

I note HP is no longer supporting my old expensive (at the time) workhorse of a laser printer, so I had to shop around, which took time. I will never deal with HP again. This time I got a scanner too so I could copy valuable documents for my siblings. We are sharing so much these days on Whatsapp. Pooling our mementoes as we all face the grim reaper.

Daughter and Grandgirl treated me big time for my upcoming birthday. Two theatre events (how I miss theatre) and a weekend away in a gorgeous inn by the lake. 

I feel I have a new lease on life after all the sickness and I am so grateful for this. We just never know how long we have and we need to maximise our remaining seconds on this planet.

The planet is in such a sorry state currently. Endless wars, the climate crisis. And a criminal cabal in the country south of us enriching themselves as the citizens get poorer and hungrier and without healthcare. I don't pay it as much mind as I used to, apart from occasional outrage on Bluesky, but I have moved away from all the political screaming and finger-pointing as it truly doesn't make anyone accountable for the myriad of crimes committed daily against the most vulnerable. Something massive died in many of us when concentration camps were normalized (for nearly a century now.)

So yeah, long-winded. I wind up with a picture of my orchids which bloom constantly and are staggeringly beautiful.


May there be more beauty in all of our days and less worry and stress.

 

 

22 comments:

  1. You're feeling a helluva lot better then. Good! -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to read that you are feeling better these days and we do have to maximize every day and get as much joy out of life as possible. our birthday treats sounded like a good time. Pulling away from a friend can be difficult, but then you have to consider your own well being and perhaps you will find another way to keep in contact with Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much doubt it Beatrice, her mind is like a sieve. She can't remember 2 seconds ago. I am hoping her family will step up to the plate and take care of her. They have hitherto ignored the whole situation.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. I'm pleased you are feeling better, and what a great birthday you will have.

    It is not enough that humans are destroying their own planet, now Musk has started on the moon as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that and was horrified, Andrew. All the news seems to be frightful these days. And recently, I just maxed out the things that bring me joy.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. An elderly dementia lady here was supported for ages by her elderly husband at home, until she wandered out of the house at 3 am, fell over and had no idea where she was.

    FINALLY the ambulance driver took the dementia lady into proper residential care, explaining yet again that the caring husband was not simply abandoning his wife. He loved her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hels for this. I needed it today as I question myself (being the only close friend she has left). But I did see how the stress was affecting me. And it's time for her family now, even though they have treated her poorly for years. Stolen all her savings, etc.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. The orchids are beautiful. I am glad you made the decision to cut ties with the demented one, you need to look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River, I was frankly quite worn out from it all.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. Amen to your last comment, a lot more beauty I'll second that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need far more of it these days Chris and we must feed it to ourselves as we can lose track quite easily.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. Seems that you have overcome any guilt you might have been feeling, and that’s a good thing. You did as much as you could for as long as you could and no one should ask for more. I am glad to hear that you have been enjoying yourself recently.and I hope that continues. Take good care. Very best wishes - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. Sometimes there are tough decisions to make when we love someone. This is the second time I've had to do this for dear friends. She won't be really aware of it as her brain has gone downhill so rapidly.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. I think I misunderstood your comment on my own blog and thought you were doing more for your friend rather than less. I hope my response didn't cause any distress.
    Looking after our own peace is important and as energy wanes it becomes more important.
    I do all I can to enjoy my life, not only because life itself is limited but because disability will reduce my capacity before most people my age. Dinners, theatre, trips, dogs, coffees, movies. Let us do them all!!!
    I wish I could knit, then I could knit glorious gifts as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go back and read it Kylie. No I have backed away from my friend as it was becoming quite an unbearable burden in ways I had to finally recognise (stress was affecting my driving, interactions had a tint of aggression, etc.). Yes we do need the little treats and tiny pleasures.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. Yes, stressful situations with people who just don't change...too much for my old self now. I am really looking at how I want to spend what I hope to be another couple of decades, and dealing with difficult people is one I am putting by the wayside. I did so much of that when working, and I was really good at it, even taught a few younger teachers how to manage some of the exasperating folk, but I am beyond it now. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good wise words, Delaine. We need a highly developed sense of when to back away in literally hopeless situations (and even hostile ones). It destroys us if we continue while the "other" remains oblivious. I feel I got my foothold on life back.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  10. A wise decision to disengage from Susan, difficult though it may be.
    I am glad to read about some good things you have had lately. The theater and inn sound really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the good things were truly marvelous and the inn. It felt like decades since I was feeling so free to do things I love so I appreciated them all the more. It has been touch detaching from Susan. Old friends who are still alive but not present are one of the toughest challenges we have in later years.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  11. Thank you for the birthday comments and I send hugs and lovely thoughts your direction as you celebrate your upcoming birthday and your gift of theatre. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much e, and I am so happy you passed your immense hurdle, with Mercy by your side.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.