Friday, October 21, 2016

Oh Me Nerves


So the anthology is off to a friend for formatting. A virtual friend in California whom I met through an online writers' group. Da Webz: she is amazing. VF has since become a well established author in the sci-fi genre while raising four daughters under the age of 7. And helps out fellow authors with her expertise.

I like the cover which features my office and an old fashioned lamp and a photo of my parents which seemed to fit. I wanted to show modern technology in conjunction with the old fashioned timbre of some of the stories/memoirs/poems within it. The photo is meant to be blurry with clear text. Not sure whether it works or not even though I am enamoured of it.

I've never taken on such a humungous, soul destroying, exhausting task in my life. It ripped about a year out of my life between rewrites and revisions and formatting, repaginations, four levels of editing and banging my head off my own keyboard. I would never do it again. Sympathy and compassion (except from other writers) was in short supply along with the challenge of the writers' impatience to see the book in print.

I think it will sell well locally as it truly is a type of compendium I'd see in the old days. Bits of everything.

A few of my own and Daughter's pieces are in it. One writer pulled a piece that was her best: afraid of relatives' judgements. A lovely piece, sadly never to see the light of day. Her substitute piece never made the final cut as it was so inferior.

It's done now and I can move on to my languishing 3 novels and the CBC Short Story Contest.

Freedom.

14 comments:

  1. The blue lettering is hard to read against that background; there will be better ways to incorporate it with your photograph, and maybe your friend in California will have some good suggestions. I'd use a different font too. Not that you asked! So forgive me please if the design feedback isn't welcome. Congratulations on being so near completion of this project! -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate - feedback is great, thank you. I tried red and it was awful, black got lost, maybe white/grey, not sure..... feedback is truly welcome on this. I'll see what VF says too.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be all kinds of options, fear not! A few ideas here: https://designschool.canva.com/how-to-design-book-covers/ and los more online. -Kate

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kate and also for your email, I am mulling....

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
    3. Oh go ahead: do a bodice ripper.

      Delete
  3. since you are getting advise, I will not give you any, but if it were up to me, I would wash out the sepia a bit more, give it the faded look.

    keep up the fine work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice, thanks Fred, feel free to comment, all suggestions are so welcome!

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. Yes, I do like the photo. Not so sure about the writing. I think a plainer font would be too stark. So would plain black writing. Hmm. A dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I tried a plainer font and it looked clumsy, something's bound to jell with all the good suggestions coming in.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. you are smart
    and figure out the best way
    trust your judgement....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ernestine, smart has nothing to do with, I feel very stuck with moving towards the best.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. I'm happy for you that this is almost done and that you'll move on to other projects. I hope you'll keep us posted on publication.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me know when and how I can buy a copy. All the best with the 3 novels and the CBC Short Story Contest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the photo. But I agree, the writing is hard to read against the background. Maybe you could just have the text on the monitor, and forget the over-writing altogether? Just a thought.

    I hope it enjoys excellent sales after all the hard work you've put into it. A labour of love indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.