Thursday, July 08, 2021

Time Out

Grief takes many forms. I need to lay it out there and I find myself immobilized, staring at walls for gawd knows how long with nothing going on inside my head. Just blank, like white canvas.

I'll write about the trip later. I took copious notes.

But on a ferry going to Blanc Sablon I got the news that a best friend had died.

He had cancer, it was expected, but that doesn't assuage or lessen grief in any way.. He was one of my stalwarts, he was the brother I never had. We could spend loads of time together without getting bored. I valued his advice and his compassion and care.

Of course we had serious disagreements and massive differences in philosophy - he was a practicing Christian, I am an atheist.

But we listened to each other and didn't judge. He was a perfectionist, liked all his ducks in a row and hated surprises. I am completely the opposite.

Our long, long friendship, enriched my life in countless ways. I was at his online funeral yesterday and bawled my eyes out.

The last card he sent me was about a month before he died:

The real price of aging is the dear ones departing leaving us bereft in so many ways. I wrote this on the passing of another dear friend in 2009 which was read at her funeral and it applies to all inconceivable losses.

Death is only for the living:

The bereft left standing there

Embracing the sharp edges

And chilling silence

Of your vanished vitality.

I took this photo of R on a beach around 10 years ago where we had a picnic and I presented him with a bucket and spade to build a sandcastle. 


Farewell dear R - one of a kind. Forever missed. 






 

22 comments:

  1. Yes, even when people are seriously ill, death is unexpected. We thought they would live a little longer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so sorry for your grief. Take care of yourself. Again, so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lost two of my dearest friends going way back to our old neighborhood and high school. most difficult to be sure. I still sometimes wait for the phone to ring and hear their voices. my heart goes out to you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very, very sorry.
    My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to read this. We never have as much time as we think

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear your news. I suppose that's the thing about living into older age, those around you leave you, alone with your memories of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The level of grief shows how much you loved the person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even expected, it takes us by surprise.
    It just occurred to me, outlasting everyone is the worst end of all.
    I am sorry R has gone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feeling sorry for you. May he rest in peace and may you find strength to live with the sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear the news. That will leave a sad gap in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My condolences on your loss.

    Over the last few years, and as should be expected at my age, I have been receiving news about the death of friends and family regularly. Since the advent of Covid, the number has gone up and some really totally unexpected deaths have occurred.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mother outlived her four dear sisters which must have been very tough for her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Come here my dearest one, for a hug, and a good cry...whenever it suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry for your loss ... you're so right about the real price of aging.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What you describe is the real price of living...I am so sorry. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who knew that photo would so soon be so evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your comment today. I will be buying that plunger.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel your pain, my dear WWW. I still feel my own, and will I am sure forever.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry for the loss of your friend — now, only the memories remain to be treasured always.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.