Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Exits



A long time blog mate has gone to the stars. I believe the day I started blogging, which feels like centuries ago now, I found Ramana.

This is his blog.

And his beloved son kindly let us know of the progress of his deterioration since November and his final passing today.

We shared many emails over the years and thoughts on every topic, addiction, existentialism, food, family, careers. He would regularly send me links to articles I would enjoy. 

Now and again we would have a bit of a tussle on items that amused him but appalled me but we surmounted our little conflicts.

I learned a lot about the different cuisines of India (and recipes too!) from him and his lifestyle there which circled around his books and crosswords and the family dogs and evening strolls in the local park.

He's a loss to the blog world. I'll miss his enthusiasm and his insights and his spirituality. And his sense of humour.

It always leaves an enormous hole when a blog mate dies. And there are far too many now.

For whom the bell tolls indeed.

Soar with the stars my friend.

12 comments:

  1. Yes, it's always sad to lose a long time blog friend. At least you're not left wondering as his son was kind enough to let you know. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also followed him allowed only found his blog in the last few years and now am reading his posts from 2008 on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to hear it. From Ramana I took the habit of calling my daughter-in-law my daughter-in-"love" -- such a sweet and telling difference.

    Yesterday we attended the funeral of the 92-yr-old father of one of my dearest longtime friends -- friends from childhood, and family friends. It has got me feeling nostalgic, as well as somewhat apprehensive, as loss and sorrow and change are coming for us all and, as inevitable as that is, it's something we have to live with. Not always easy. Have courage! That's the only way forward. (I think.) -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our blog friends become very dear to us. This is the second tribute I have read to this man - a man I didn't know, which is obviously my loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nor did I know him, but am finding him for the second time today. A swift journey to the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope his passing was peaceful. I'm sorry for this loss, you have given him a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry about Ramana, I never read his blog, but I am very glad this is not an exit letter from you saying you are giving up blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ramana's death is a big loss to all his blogmates. He was a wise and amusing soul who always had something illuminating to say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is when blogging really mirrors life. Three blogging friends have now passed away since I have been blogging and they are missed just as much as flesh and blood friends, perhaps even more so in some instances.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Friends are friends and will be missed even if they are digital. I did not know Ramana, but from your description he sounds like a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ramana commented many times on your blog.
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.