Monday, May 22, 2023

This and That and T'other.

My friend Lana, whom I speak to every week has started hallucinating in this dreadful disease of Alzheimer's. It has worsened lately. But she still knows my name when I call her.

Last night her hallucination was a man and his daughter coming to take her to a shoe shop to fit her with new shoes as she had broken her foot. I went along for the ride. She said she wore the shoes to bed as they were so comfortable and would never take them off again. I think it might have been her son and granddaughter who took her. But she had lost track of who they were and their names. If it happened at all.

She has a new friend who is thirty years old (living in a senior's full care facility?) but even though she protests at reception she, Lana, is not allowed to take her for walks with her which is, she says, totally unfair as she'd like some company. As they were spying on her all the time now she couldn't tell me her name.

We don't abandon our friends of such long duration though, and I focus on the few minutes of joy she has in hearing my voice and know that I am forgotten so very quickly until I call again in a week.

Blogger, Master of the Blogverse, decided that a post I had written about Iraq, way back in the day, was offensive in my critique of the politics of that so-called war invasion. Oddly enough, everything I wrote has been proven since.

Daughter booked our trip to my homeland for October. I did the pro and con list and will be interested in reading Andrew who is writing about his very last trip to the homeland of his partner in the UK. Always challenging with aging, disabilities, medications, too old for insurance, etc. Plus the roundabout way of getting there from here with the cancellation of direct flights to Dublin from St. John's. Now we have to back trek west to Toronto and then fly east to Dublin in a sardine can. My pro and con list for the trip had pros winning though. 14 hours.

In love with my air-fryer.


Flowers from my daughter in April.


A very faint rainbow landing in the middle of the lake outside my window this past week.




19 comments:

  1. Alzheimers, and other forms of dementia too, are terrible afflictions, so please keep providing your friend with whatever bits of joy you can. As for an air fryer, I think I have to get one. Everyone I know who has one raves about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are truly amazing David and so fast! Seriously, I use mine every single day.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. Dementia (of any flavour) is the cruellest of illnesses. Thank you for supporting your friend. Good luck with your trip home too - and any rainbow no matter how faints brightens the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a horrible situation for your friend. You are a true supporter and must love her dearly. I hope the trip home is wonderful despite the circuitous journey. Rainbows and flowers always cheer me, I would like to know more about your air fryer and how is the former nun doing? Thanks for your kind comments regarding Lukas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to connect with her on this weekly basis. It makes me extremely grateful, I am thinking the man and his daughter who visited her was her son and to think she forgot his name now is breaking my heart, as it must his. My friend P, the former nun hasn't gotten back to me on the book yet, I will jog her memory when I see her. I will do a post about the airfryer, the gift that keeps on giving. Lukas is such a brave wee lad.
      X0
      WWW

      Delete
  4. I called a dear old friend tonight. She is 94; I'm only 80, she says. And she tries hard as she can to be 80 again. Just the call makes her so happy, and so it makes me happy too,

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so good to read this, Joanne, I feel such love for my friend and all the memories we shared. As I'm sure you feel the same. We can't forget them.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least she still remembers you and enjoys your visits. I like your owl chime hanging in your window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That owl chime was a gift from my neighbour. Owl is my spirit animal and I have a collection!
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. I've decided I've lost interest in long-haul holidays, what with the stress of making all the arrangements, my flagging energy levels, the rising cost of insurance, not to mention the environmental damage (and Jenny feels much the same). But good for you making the trip back to Ireland despite all the palaver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My last trip I think Nick and I hear you on the damage and the exhaustion (plus the recovery time is intense as we age!). I am hoping there is understanding of my depleted condition. The meat vessel is far from how efficient it was!
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. Good for you doing that journey and not in two years' time bemoarning that you did not!. Did you find a pot of gold in that lake under the owl - there must be one :) I am sure both Lana and her family are all happy that you still call her and make her happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is said we only regret the things we didn't do and I have very few of those Charlotte. She seems very happy on the whole, her short term and long term are zero and frankly, I don't think she has any memories of me but her delight in hearing my voice is what keeps me going back.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. We gave up on plans for my trip home which was running into the several thousands with air fare alone over $2K ea person and that's just in Canada, and then switch to a vehicle for a seven hour drive, car rental, gas, accommodation once there, food... . I don't know how people do it. I feel so sad knowing I really cannot go home again. Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daughter got a really low fare Emma which helps. Plus accommodations will be with family members so that also helps. I totally understand how challenging financially it would be for you. And sympathize.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
    2. Yes, low(er) fares to and from Europe or ? But within Canada? Forget it. Happy Rose of Tralee Day.

      Delete
    3. To and from Dublin from St. John's, Emma.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
    4. Its not the distance--although it is a factor--it's the direction: not east and west but north. Plus airplane gas is so expensive because we produce it here from our natural resources and literally give it away to the U.S. Emma

      Delete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.