I've had them before. You know, or maybe you don't, the moment when you're faced with your own mortality? Those kinds of moments.
In the absence of Daughter, my brother, who is visiting from Costa Rica, took me for a CAT scan on Tuesday. All routine, right? The CAT scan was ordered by my primary care because I have been undergoing severe night sweats.
All nicely routine. Until I was in the pre-procedure room and I was informed there had been a pre-procedure consult and that I needed to make a decision which would involve possible adverse effects due to my rickety kidneys. I needed to have an IV dye so that any possible malignancies could be detected more easily. Sorry for the last-minute decision, but I would need to sign off on this as it was dangerous because of the aforementioned kidneys. After some thought, while my brother kept mum, I agreed and signed off. Loads of water afterwards was recommended.
Cat scan went well; I behaved myself. The dye was weird, warmth throughout the body. I was offered water afterwards and warned to keep flushing water through my system when I left. The staff were amazing, so very kind and gentle.
Brother said afterwards that if I had consulted him, he would have suggested I go for it, just to make sure they caught whatever would show up.
I had to meet moments like this in the past, the worst being in ER a couple of years ago when I had to sign a DNR. Quite chilling.
No results yet, or alarm bells going off. Yes, I am nervous but also fatalistic. I've had a very good run of it considering the lifestyle I embraced for quite a few years.
Many cappuccinos were called for after my adventure. All of us siblings are absolutely mad for our cappuccinos.


Oh cappuccinos as an after-procedure fluid is an amazing idea. I'll remember. I love Jumping Bean as the name for a coffee place. Fingers crossed for an all-clear.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Charlotte. I expected to be more stressed about the outcome and am very surprised at how blasé I am.
DeleteXO
WWW
I love cappucinos too. I have had that body warming dye once, with an MRI to check for any blockages to blood flow, thankfully there were none.
ReplyDeleteGood outcome for you, River. And much gratitude for the advancement in medical technology.
DeleteXO
WWW
I've had a couple of those scans and didn't realise they could be dangerous. But you've survived to tell the tale. Thank goodness for your restorative cappas.
ReplyDeleteA good balance to the stress of the whole business, Andrew.
DeleteXO
WWW