Tuesday, June 03, 2014

For Sale


Years past, I'd drive around North America with various companions, my former husband, then we added the girls, then my dad, then various friends. I loved being a roadie. Still do.

And I'd see them on the sides of the road we drove through on these long road trips.

Signs:

For sale: Quilts.
For Sale: Birdhouses
For Sale: Socks.

And mitts. And scarves. And pottery. And watercolours.

The Da was the only one with patience enough to accompany me in my poking around these road stands or inside sellers' houses. Others were too destination fixated. Or disinterested. Or would sit in the car and sulk and waggle their watches.

At one of these places my scrabble turntable was acquired. Still used and twirling silently. A beautiful polished piece of wood. At another I picked up some lovely aboriginal prints. I still have those too.

I would envy the roadside purveyors of such artifacts, their creations. And chat to them. You see, I too wanted to put out a sign on my lawn. Offer my wee creations for sale. An impossible dream?

Well, today I did.


13 comments:

  1. May the buyers come with plenty to pay for their purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys, I should have mentioned they're my own cards with picture and poem.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea! i hope you get lots of visitors--lots of sales, and lots of new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laurie!!
    I hope all is well with you. thank you for your good wishes :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back when ebay was new, I still had the kids rooms as they had left them when they moved on to university and Henry to the Army.
    The youngest came home on a week vacation from school and seemed very busy with her computer, and was mailing things in boxex.
    She was going through her sister and brother's rooms, selling things.
    I knew then she'd go far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SFM:

    And has she? - I love the story!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plenty of roadside signs in Northern Ireland too, though mainly for produce as there are so many farms.

    I hope your own sign does the job and brings in a few customers - and no doubt plenty of local gossip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. May your palm be crossed with much silver! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nick:

    You got it on the local gossip as people stop and gape while I lurk behind my office window :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice Irish thought there Laura, thank you!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. And you call that a wee thing? What is it anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a friend who can't pass up these roadside enticements. I'm more in the let's move on category.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.