Sunday, December 27, 2015

For the day that's in it.


I'm taking that to heart.

Along with acceptance. And being mindful to stay where my hands are. To be joyful for others. To feel the deep empathy and sadness for others' unbelievable tragedies. On December 23rd, a man and woman I greatly admire, for many, many qualities (kindness, gentility, commitment to their own health in the worst of weather conditions, pillars of support when their son and his wife took on the raising of abandoned twin grandsons, their great-grandsons and so on)lost their beloved teenage granddaughter in a stupid, careless, dumb automobile accident. Unspeakable. Truly. Good people suffering the unbearable. I can't imagine.

Grandgirl was here. We love her, we do. But she's gone now. Back to grinding school work and intense studying, a part-time job and her incredible social life. She really doesn't understand rural living in spite of the changing seascapes and breathtaking sunsets and wilderness. I don't think I did at her age either. My life was the city. And also in Toronto for years and years. I get it.

But a craving for peace sets in in later years, away from the madding crowd, and I knew if I didn't jump then, I never would. So here I am, enjoying this serenity of living, no sidewalks, ocean at my doorstep and a life I only ever whispered about as I was afraid I would jinx it.

And I get social fulfilment when I need it. Like yesterday. An all day "Hash Party", no not that kind, but every bit of leftovers from Christmas put on heated platters that run down the kitchen for about 12 feet, never seen the like, and an enormous cast of characters coming in and out of my friend's house, from all walks of life where one is encouraged to talk of the past year and travels and achievements and hear of everyone else's. A Boxing Day tradition for Daughter, Grandgirl and I.

And friends from the city call and we chat and one is visiting me again later on this year.

And all is good.

And kindness.

Yes.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great party ... happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound content and I am so glad. Wishing you a wonderful 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  3. acceptance is all. There is so little else we can do now; besides, it really lightens the load.

    A happy new year to you and all who sail in you. (No, I’m not drunk, it’s too early. I am just glad to have survived the festivities without too much pain.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I send best wishes to you that all is always good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope 2016 is a better year for you. 2015 has been a real heartbreaker. Don't you love that we can connect *this* way? Even when I don't comment you are in my thoughts. I love this quote by Jean Vanier which, like the Buddha, pointed out that all of us are in the same boat. "We human beings are all fundamentally the same. We all belong to a common broken humanity. We all have human wounded, broken hearts. Each one of us needs to feel appreciated and understood. We all need help."


    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Hash day sounds wonderful. To have so many friends and acquaintances coming and going and spreading good cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try to find my 'wa' and my karmic center, but having to go out every four hours to shovel snow disturbs my inner peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all - you made me chuckle and nod in agreement and weep with you too. Extraordinary this newfound interwebz, yeah?

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.