Wednesday, June 09, 2021

A Tribute Part 1

 In that way of life yesterday, I was looking through an old photo album (remember those?) And came across this, an afghan I had designed and knit while ensconced on the island of Sherkin for the month of August, maybe 20 odd years ago. I only knit these for those I love and value greatly.


So my immediate thought was Paulina* hadn't responded to my last email which was completely unlike her. So I went to the web and threw on her name and found to my utter disbelief that she had died. The only notice of such death posted by one of the many business groups she had belonged to. No obit. No articles or memorials about this remarkable woman.

When I first met Paulina, some 30 odd years ago it was at her home office in a gorgeous house on the Beaches (a very expensive residential area) in Toronto. 


She had some messy accounting work for me to clean up which necessitated absolute confidentiality. She was a referral from another client (as nearly all of my business was) so the preludes were dispensed with as she trusted him implicitly.

 She told me the situation briefly, handed me ledgers and agreements and told me I was free to set it up anyway I wished as long as she could make sense of it when the job was completed. In those days her hair was an expensive vibrant red and she had this aura of confidence I envied. Her clothes were linens, rich cottons, cashmeres and comfortable and co-ordinated in soft pastels, and whispered money. I drooled internally at her clothes.

I noticed there were many women working around the place. One outside in the back garden, landscaping, one doing measurements of walls and windows around where I worked on her huge dining room table and one upstairs who popped down now and again to consult quietly with Pauline, reading quietly in the living room, showing her designs. Another was obviously the cleaner who moved around quietly. Nobody was intrusive in anyway.

Paulina asked me how things were going, I asked her some brief questions from my notebook and then she left.

There were kitchen sounds and aromas, and at just before noon Paulina asked me to move my work from the table to the sideboard as she was about to serve lunch for everyone. All the women working for her gathered around the table which was loaded with platters of roasted vegetables, breads, salads, fruits and a tureen of Incredible homemade soup. Paulina was a vegetarian.

She introduced us all to each other as she served us, telling what each one did.

When she reached her cleaning lady, Anna, she said:

"Sorry, but Anna is the most valued one of all of you, for she cleans my toilets."

And those gathered over this marvelous meal, shared life stories and business ideas and backgrounds with Pauline encouraging us every minute of the way, quietly observant, making sure no one dominated the conversation. I've never seen, before or since, anyone who could draw others out like Paulina could.

And this was my first introduction to Paulina, Swiss born entrepreneur, one of the first female vice-presidents of IBM among many such notes of distinction, who became such an important part of my life in so many ways.

I lit a candle for her yesterday as I grieved and remembered, startled at the depth of our long association.



To be continued...... 

*not her real name

See Part 2 here


18 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your, loss and sorrier that no-one knew to let you know. This is a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you E. I do believe her friendships were very private. More on that later.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. The experience of finding out by an announcement is so harsh. I really appreciate your writing about her. Please tell us much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a real shocker boud, and I will write more of her as she needs to be commemorated. It may have been her humble decision not to look for post mortem accolades.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. This is a fine tribute to a remarkable woman. Even second hand I can feel your loss. And wish that I could have known her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She surely was one of a kind EC, I was truly privileged to have known her.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. I am sorry for your loss. When we lose someone truly special the hurt goes deep. Like you I am a loner but there are still people who make a great impression on me, much as Paulina has on you.
    A wonderful idea to prepare a meal for all the workers, I don't think Iv'e ever seen it happen and certainly never done it myself. (Not that I have regular workers but maybe the odd one here and there might appreciate a bit of food and drink)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never have either Friko, a combination of my thinking they might not want me to waste their time, or do I have to pay for their time as they eat, and in hindsight I see how limiting that kind of thinking is.

      She was generous to a fault.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. It is one thing to be wealthy and another to be gracious but to combine the two in one person is rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a very rare woman indeed Andrew, I've known many through my business and she was in a class of her own.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. What an incredible woman, in so many ways. I am looking forward to the conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thenk you Joanne, it helps me to write about her and get over this huge shock/

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. This is a remarkable tribute to a remarkable woman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely story, lovely photos! An unsung hero indeed and I'm glad you are rectifying that. I look forward to second instalment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The candle speaks eloquently of your loss. It is a shock when someone important to us dies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m sorry for your loss.
    Something similar happened to me once: I decided on a whim to Google my high school boyfriend, and found that he’d died some years earlier. Quite startling.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.